Sago palms replacement house in architectural digest

Travel discussion for St. John
Chris @ Work

Re: Sago palms replacement house in architectural digest

Post by Chris @ Work »

Sago Palms was indeed a gem and we were fortunate enough to stay there just before the end. The idea that Sago "blocked their view of STT sunsets" really torqued me but unfortunately that is what money can do for/to you.
[/url]
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

And it wasn't just Sago Palms that was lost...

The villa that was on the footprint that the monster replaced was called Villa Marisla. It was an old island-style home built with teak and native stone. There was an enormous stained glass window featuring a whale breaching the surface that was just above the sliding glass doors that opened along the full front of the living room overlooking Jumbie...

My wife and I stayed at Villa Marisla in 1998 and were engaged there...

In 2000, we returned there for our wedding and my parents stayed next door at Sago Palms...

For years, we drove back down that bumpy road on every island visit to soak in the nostalgia and memories...

No more...
SusieQT

Post by SusieQT »

Randy in MD wrote:And it wasn't just Sago Palms that was lost...

The villa that was on the footprint that the monster replaced was called Villa Marisla. It was an old island-style home built with teak and native stone. There was an enormous stained glass window featuring a whale breaching the surface that was just above the sliding glass doors that opened along the full front of the living room overlooking Jumbie...

My wife and I stayed at Villa Marisla in 1998 and were engaged there...
We stayed at Villa Marisla in July 1997 for our honeymoon! We were so sad to hear it was gone. The stained glass was simply amazing!
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

I have been disgusted with this since the article last year that showed the swath of NPS land that was striped and the lack of any significant action by the people responsible for protecting the park.
I sent a letter to AD for whatever it is worth. But we should all write to the head of nps whose office is in DC I believe, not to complain about individual taste or what 1% ers do with their money if legally, because we dont have a leg to stand on there. But instead to have them address the fact that national park lands in STJ are apparently open to the highest bidder and that is not legal.
mizarumonkey

Post by mizarumonkey »

The VI National Park was not just stripped - it was fully excavated into and the ridge removed, so their pool deck and spa could get clear views of more of St. Thomas.

This excavation is beyond all the code violations, but just the most obvious and insulting part of the story.
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

Yes stripped was to light of a description , I remember the photo showing a huge scar in the land to the right and above the house.
I thought I also read that a group of attorneys were hired by neighbors to get further remedy?
Maybe , even though the article does not mention all this, by putting such a big spotlight on the property someone will take notice of the goings on and the lack if building oversight?
petepie

Post by petepie »

The July issue is out with letters to the editor published on the Sago Palms house. They published one critical letter from a St. John resident, but also published two glowing letters on the house. I don't think it is clear at all that these new owners damaged National Park Service lands, which are owned by the taxpayers and which the Government will have to repair.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Are the letters available to read online?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I have the magazine with the letters to the editors. If someone can tell me how to post a PDF, I'll scan it at work and post it.

Or I could scan and email to anyone interested.