A lovely day on island

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

A lovely day on island

Post by michigan girls »

Today was Maho. It was a gorgeous day - no rain at all.

We spent most of the day at Maho. Fewer turtles than usual, but I saw three, so enough to get my turtle fix.

The snorkeling to the right was superb today. All the usual suspects, including an octopus, eel, group of squid, huge rays, very large Angel fish, a huge crab and, unfortunately, a lion fish. It's a pity they are so terrible, because they are beautiful fish. Sadly, I had forgotten to put the memory card back in my water camera, so the only pictures I got were of the rays before the internal memory was full.

We stopped at Pink Corner for smoothies (love their sour sop smoothie!) and had dinner at Sweet Plantains. Everything was very good, but the coconut flan for dessert was definitely the highlight.

Now finishing up my work for the day so I can get to bed at a decent time.

Tomorrow is the Reef Bay Trail and then Moonlight Madness with Innervisions at Miss Lucy's.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Re: A lovely day on island

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

OH NO! A lion fish at Maho!!! :evil:

Sweet Plantains is still open!? Why did I think it had closed...for good?!?! Always wanted to go there in August! Maybe this year....fingers crossed.

Can't wait to hear about the Reef Bay Trail hike tomorrow. We always consider this, but have yet to pull the trigger. Something about exercising (or something similar to it) on vaca just doesn't sit well with us.... :?
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I thought Sweet Plantains had closed as well. We were pleasantly surprised to see it open, so decided we had to eat there. Hopefully still open when we return in August, as I quite enjoyed it.

I have always been hesitant about the hike as well - same reason. Sherry really wanted to do it though, so I let her talk me into it. We shall see...
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

The Reef Bay Trail going down is easy. A nice stroll in the woods especially if you take your time. The ranger walk, if that's what your doing, is very informative. They give you plenty of breaks along the way. Just bring lots of water.
The walk back up is torture. Like climbing the Empire State Building. Takes about 3 times longer than the walk down.
If you're taking the Ranger guided hike with the boat ride back to Cruz Bay you should have no problem.