Saint John info

Travel discussion for St. John
birijetta

Saint John info

Post by birijetta »

Hi VI lovers!!
It was amazing finding this forum, lot of usefull information and you can start travelling from home!!
my husband and I are going to se VI for the first time on 25th of April, can't wait!
I have read lot and lot of information, I don't have enough, we are staying for 1 week,
5 day in Saint Thomas and 3 days in Saint John.
So many things to see and not enough time so I need your help to optimize time.
About Saint John I have read the more or less the best beaches are Trunk bay, Hawksnest bay, Francis Bay and Maho Bay,
there are any hiking paths between the beaches? We have no car, but we prefer to walk than to spend lot of time by taxi.
How much is it worth visiting Annaberg Sugar mill?
We're staying in Cruz Bay, any suggestion of what to see and where have dinner?
thank you for your help
Miriam
watergirl

Re: Saint John info

Post by watergirl »

HI GUYS,
Welcome to paradise!
While in St. Thomas you must get over to Glady's Restaurant in CA for lunch. Try to go on a day when no cruise ships, otherwise all of CA is a zoo.

If you're staying in Cruz Bay & love to hike you might walk to Honeymoon & Salomon Beaches. The trailhead is by the National Park Station. a neat hike through the woods then suddenly -BAM - incredible beaches. Beaches you mentioned are also all good, but again avoid Trunk Bay if cruisers are around. It tends to get very crowded.
I'm a history buff so found Annaberg Sugar Mill definitely worth it. It's also a short hike from there to another beach. Don't try to get in too much, for a small island there's lots to see & do.
Lots of really nice places to eat in Cruz Bay. I like the BBQ in middle of town (you can't miss it) for the ambiance, Beach Bar for the sunsets, Morgan's Mango for the fancy drinks (sit at the bar; service is better), I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.
Enjoy!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Welcome to the Forum and the VI. This is like Hotel California. You can check out, but you can never leave.

My first advice is to do as little "planning" as you can. Learn what you can from the Forum and anywhere else you can. By doing so you will find that you have a familiar feeling when you get there. It will also help you make choices when presented with alternatives.

Second, get on Island Time as soon as you get on the plane. Sit back and relax. Everything on the island "soon come." If you get out to Coral Bay on STJ stop by Skinny Legs. The express it best on their menu. It says right there at the top, "same day service available."

A car on STJ may be a good idea. There are a lot of places that are out of reach of a taxi or a walk.

The beaches and restaurants are like many things. The ones I like may seem auful to you.

I agree with everything that Watergirl said. I also like the Greenhouse for lunch. It is facing the water along side the harbor.

Have a great time and try to not over plan.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

Get a Car!!!! You Will Be Soooo Glad you did!!! Do some research..Drive the north shore ..Go to Peace Hill..Drive to Vies on the East End...Go To Skinny Leggs and get a burger and a beer..Always pack a cooler and your snorkle gear...Do this and you will be back next time to st. john for the entire time...Trust me on this one..
25+ years of great memories! Peace!!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

david@va.beach wrote:Get a Car!!!! You Will Be Soooo Glad you did!!! Do some research..Drive the north shore ..Go to Peace Hill..Drive to Vies on the East End...Go To Skinny Leggs and get a burger and a beer..Always pack a cooler and your snorkle gear...Do this and you will be back next time to st. john for the entire time...Trust me on this one..
25+ years of great memories! Peace!!
What he said...

I really do think Annaberg is worth the trip, especially if you are a history buff. Also, the view from up there is amazing. When you're done there you can take the easy hike to Leinster for some great snorkeling.

The beaches accessible by hiking from town are lovely, but you miss out on what I consider to be the best end of the island.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

When you say 3 days on St. John, do you mean 3 nights or do you mean 3 full days to explore and enjoy the beaches. Also, where are you staying? Your answers will make a big difference regarding beaches to visit, whether you need a car, and what hikes to do. Most beaches will be a car/taxi ride away but they are worth it. You will only get a taste of St. John with 3 days or nights, so plan to come back and really understand what it is all about. But, most of all, have a great time!
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

You will have better use of your time by renting a car !
Thats my best advice . Way too many fab beaches and joints to enjoy ,so you will wanna make the exploring easy. Have a large time!
birijetta

Post by birijetta »

Really thank you to all of you! :D :D
We're thinking to take the car as many of you suggest, we really need to slow down and relax that's why we didn't want the car. When we have the car we tend to try to see too many places and at the end we are more tired than relax!!!!
I'll let you know how it will go......anyway it should be great!!!!!!

Happy holidays!!!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

While on St. Thomas - go to Utter Delight and get an "Adult Milkshake". They are sooooo good. Then take you shake a little further up the hill to a place called Drake's Seat and enjoy the view and your shake.

Here is a link to Utter Delight - http://eyechow.com/2013/11/11/udder-del ... st-thomas/

And Google - Drake's Seat on St Thomas to see the view.

Story that I heard was that Cpt. Drake would sit that and look for Pirate ships.

Enjoy
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"