back by popular demand

Travel discussion for St. John
papabou

Re: back by popular demand

Post by papabou »

thanks folks for thoughts and encouraging words. sorry to have vented but smoking and cancer have taken on a new meaning. frankly cancer has taken on a new meaning to us. never realized how many people have been so severely impacted but the horrors of cancer.

papabou
papabou

Post by papabou »

thanks folks for thoughts and encouraging words. sorry to have vented but smoking and cancer have taken on a new meaning. frankly cancer has taken on a new meaning to us. never realized how many people have been so severely impacted but the horrors of cancer.

papabou
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

NJsurfsup wrote: As for anyone who thinks some one deserves cancer or "brought it on themselves" , knows nothing about nicotine addiction, which once its got ahold of you (usually when your young and niave) well it is a tough thing to beat. I started smoking at 13 and finally after many attempts at quitting and at 48 have finally broken free.
I'll second that. I stopped counting my quit attempts. I was around 40 yo the last time I smoked. Nicotine is a horribly addictive drug.

Wishing you good outcomes.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Papabou, I am so sorry to hear the news about Ann's illness. I am sure she is in good hands and I hope she makes a full recovery. Make sure to take care of yourself as well, being the caretaker is hard work.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Positive healing prayers coming your way

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Also thinking of you and your wife Papabou.......keep the faith 8)
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Papa, please accept my well wishes and know that I will pray daily for her recovery and your ability to deal with the disease. I too was a very heavy smoker, up to 4 packs of cigarettes a day at the end before I quit. There but for fortune I could be in your wife's shoes and I never forget that my worries will never be over. Hopefully we will see you here on the forum from time to time and that you will again be able to travel.
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

Thoughts and prayers for your wife and you and your family. Thankfully I quit 5 years ago which means not a lot. The big C comes in many forms...Treasure every moment of every day...Thinking of you
loria

Post by loria »

I am so sorry to hear this...sending prayers for a speedy and full recovery and more memory making on St John.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

So sorry to hear of this news.
papabou

Post by papabou »

thanks again everyone for thoughts, prayers and concerns. it has helped.

unfortunately things have been bumpy since i vented. thinking weekend after surgery we'd go home on mon 10/20 but instead she went to icu on 20th and she's still there. been on respir since 22nd and endured a second lung surgery and having a trach installed. she seems to have significantly improved except for breathing. they can't seem to ween her from respirator. once resp not needed she can get out of icu and walk. certainly hope so.

thanks again and how about some more posts with lovely pics to raise our spirit.

papabou
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

Papa,
How is your wife doing ?
papabou

Post by papabou »

pam,

she wound up staying 6 weeks in hospital with lung surgery and recovery from damage to her good lung due to mishap in initial surgery. all good news on lung cancer, got all and nothing but standard monitoring for 5 yrs. unfortunately bad news on mouth cancer. the lung surgery complications delayed planned mouth surgery from mid nov and now scheduled for 2/9. in the meanwhile the tumor in her mouth has grown and won't know full extent of damage till they get into the surgery. told to expect 12 hr procedure by 2 man surgical team. they have to take her lower jaw apart, remove all suspect bone and tissue and put back together with bone & tissue transplants and a titanium plate. doing more testing next week looking for possible remote metastisis. facing 6 weeks of radiation therapy and 6 month to 2 year recovery if all goes well.

sorry again for unloading but if the horrors of what we have and will face stop at least 1 smoker, it'll be worth it.

papabou
CBama

Post by CBama »

papabou, I haven't been on forum in a long time, but decided to catch up some today and I saw your post. You helped with me decision on buddy passes several years ago.

I will be praying for you and your wife. I hope the surgery goes well and also her recovery.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Papa...I hope everything goes well.

I am a smoker and I hate it. After reading your story, and your wife's, I will definitely think about both of you when I feel like having one. Some people say nicotine is harder to quit than heroin.

Best to you!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"