back by popular demand

Travel discussion for St. John
papabou

back by popular demand

Post by papabou »

well at least mack' wife & my wife demanded we get the h out of dodge, sooo another road trip to st john has been booked for 2 wild and crazy guys. we arrive 7/10 dept 7/17 and are going back to sand dollar at battery hill that served us so well in december. nice owner jan is only charging us double to cover potential liability in case mack falls off balcony.

we were on mamey peak last july and almost blew away as chantel passed close by. liked location but only place we could walk to for happy hour was columbo's smoothie stand where you got free rum with a smoothie purchase and still offered in dec. is that still an attraction as we make our way to & fro coral bay?

we plan more of the samo stuff we are famous for but have picked out a possible new option. has anyone been on busy bees lap of st john snorkeling adventure? see at http://www.busybeevi.com/lap/ mack and i are thinking about for wednesday (only day offered) 7/16 our only wednesday on island. the vessel won't set sail w/o 4 paying passengers, so i'm wondering if i could scare up at least 2 more compatible folks. anyone interested? the water vessel (boat for you non nautical types) only takes 6 paying passengers so not room for many. haven't talked to master of vessel as to whether anyone has signed up yet but i did leave a message asking for info. i left my real name in case he/she has advance knowledge of mack and my many island adventures and is afraid of the publicity.

hope to see some of you formites and i have learned only way is to slip up on you. so if our trips overlap, be careful!

still papabou
Kentuckygirl

Re: back by popular demand

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I wish, but that's our departure day! Have a great time! Maybe we'll run into you all on island. We're staying in Coral Bay, but we'll be everywhere :)
Image[/url]
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Yea, love your reports!
papabou

Post by papabou »

cm, at least someone is paying attention. promise to post daily since at my age may not live to post when we get home. I'm not going to desert this thread but am going to start a new one to solicit up to 4 forks to join mack and me (wife's and English teacher and she sometimes checks my work bit not spelling) for a "lap around st john" on the busy bee on wed 7/16. should be fun. kg, change your plans and stay a day longer, I promise mack and my entertainment will be priceless (but probably not worth the effort).

now to a new thread.
papabou
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Hey Papabou, I just PM'd you! Did you do the Busybees trip? That's the one thing we're doing new, this trip. Looking forward to it!
kklay

Post by kklay »

Papabou, after reading many of your posts I know you and Mack would fit right in with our group. We'll be on island late November - any chance you'll be making an appearance?

I'd also like to hear about your trip on Busy Bee, sounds like it would be a great day.
papabou

Post by papabou »

while mack will be moving to a new seniors only comm early dec i had hoped to talk bride into coming back nov or dec with promise we'd stay at gallows. that way she could walk to meals/happy hr and she wouldn't have to travel rds. unfortunately we got a sh*t load of lemons in early sept, as ann was diagnosed with unrelated mouth and lung cancer. i'm with her at emory hospital as she recovers from removal of middle and upper lobes of her tight lung on wed. surgery went well, but she now faces major mouth and neck surgery including removal of part of her lower jaws.

this is what cigarette smoking can do for you. those of you still smoking you need to quit. if i had a say, smoking would be banned not only on the np beaches but through out the world.

sorry for the sunday morning rant but when you see the mother of your children and wife of 48 yrs go through this, you go a little crazy. for those of you who say she did it to herself, perhaps so and we have to live with. for those of you smoking you're betting your life on 00 on the roulette wheel if you think it smoking doesn't have consequences.

papabou
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Oh God, I am so sorry to hear that Ann is so ill, Papabou! I'm wishing, hoping and praying for a cure, and for comfort for you both.
I wish there was a hug icon, or I was close enough to swing over and give you both one (a very gentle one for Ann).
Minde
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

I am truly sorry your wife is going through this. I applaude her courage as she faces such a cruel disease. She is already a warrior in my book.
As for anyone who thinks some one deserves cancer or "brought it on themselves" , knows nothing about nicotine addiction, which once its got ahold of you (usually when your young and niave) well it is a tough thing to beat. I started smoking at 13 and finally after many attempts at quitting and at 48 have finally broken free.
kklay

Post by kklay »

Papabou,

Such a difficult time for you both and I am so sorry you both must go thru this. Please know that I as well as many others are sending prayers for your wife for a swift recovery. Please keep us updated if you feel like writing.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I'm so sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Seven years ago we had plans to go to STJ when my wife was diagnosed with Mesothelioma. The outlook was not good as there was no known cure for it. Long story short - she is a patient at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and from what we were told; she is their first patient to be cancer-free of mesothelioma now going on 8 years. So Papabou – Never Give Up, Never Give Up Hope. I have walked in your shoes and know what you are going through. Please feel free to reach out to me. All my best and prayers for your wife and for you too as her caregiver.

FlaGeorge
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and Ann. Stay strong!
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Very sorry to hear, papadou. Great folks at Emory. My daughter survived two bouts with leukemia and two bone marrow transplants there. And, now she is a nurse on the very same bone marrow transplant floor where she spent 160 nights as a patient. Best wishes for a full recovery!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

SO SORRY to hear this, Papabou. Thinking of you and your wife during this difficult time. Hugs.