Trip Report June 17 - 28 with videos!

Travel discussion for St. John
islandjo2010

Trip Report June 17 - 28 with videos!

Post by islandjo2010 »

Good Day Forum Friends!

I so wanted to post a daily report while on St. John…well, that only lasted 3 days! :shock: :oops: Now that we are back home and have had time to edit photos, here couple of video links and a full trip report. I hope you enjoy!

Our summer 2014 Trip was split between St. Thomas and St. John. It was our 4th trip and filled with many 1st experiences!
St. Thomas Photo Report ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1w3OD8_JgM
St. John Photo Report ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QVvcC8WVQE

Tuesday, June 17th ~ Travel day ~ wake-up at 3:30am, my dad takes us to the airport, flight departs at 7am, we arrive in St. Thomas at 3:24pm, get our rental car and do a bit of shopping while we wait for our friend Dan to get off work so we can follow him home. We have the privilege to be Dan and Marcia’s 1st house guests since they moved into their St. Thomas home 9 months ago! They have a beautiful 4 bedroom, 5 ½ bath home with pool and a view! Marcia made a delicious baked spaghetti lasagna and a salad with blueberries and mangos...they have several large mango trees! I envy them...they are living MY Dream! :mrgreen:

Wednesday, June 18th ~ Our family zip-lined for the 1st time! This was an exhilarating adventure! The Tree Limin’Extreme course of 6 zips and 2 sky walks is situated high in the rainforest of St. Peter Mountain and has gorgeous views of Magen’s Bay, Jost van Dyke, Tortola and beyond. For dinner Dan grilled a pork loin that he had marinated all day…it was juicy and tasted amazing...even our picky eater liked it! We also had sweet potato fries and per my request, Marcia made the same salad as the night before! :)

Thursday, June 19th ~ Dan and Marcia join us for a day out at sea! Captain John Brandi of Palm Tree Charters picks us up at the Red Hook Dock. Our day began with a nice long drift snorkel at Congo/Lovango. We tour the north shore of St. John as we make our way to Tortola to clear customs. Now it’s time to head to Norman Island for lunch at Pirate’s Bight…everyone enjoyed their meal and drinks! We've never been to the Willy-T...so we make a stop there for the kids (Gabe and Rose), JD (my husband) and Marcia to have a jump…the kids jump two times! Next we head to one of my favorite snorkel spots…The Indians! This is a 1st for Dan and Marcia and they really seemed to enjoy it! This was our family’s 4th trip out with Captain Brandi and we've never asked to go to Jost van Dyke…but this is the year for 1st time experiences so...we visit White Bay and The Soggy Dollar Bar! Painkillers for the adults and ice-cream for the kids! :lol: We ALWAYS have an Awesome Day out with Captain Brandi! :D We order pizza from the Pie Whole in Frenchtown for pick-up on the way back to Dan and Marcia’s.

Friday, June 20th ~ Scuba Diving for JD, Gabe, Dan and Marcia. The water was a bit rough that morning so they didn’t get to dive French Cap instead they dove Flag Rock and Navy Barges. Flag Rock is a 70 foot dive. This was JD and Gabe’s deepest dive to date. While swimming along the bottom, they were startled when a stingray partially buried in the sand swam away! :o Navy Barges is a 40 foot dive. This was the 1st time for JD and Gabe to dive a ship wreck site. The barges were sunk after WW II. Gabe was excited to see a 6 foot Goliath Grouper…although he wishes he had gotten to see a shark! :shock: They said both were great dives with lots of marine life and colorful coral reef. Rose and I slept in and hung out by the pool until they returned. Adults spent the afternoon around the pool relaxing while Gabe and Rose enjoyed playing Xbox games indoors. :shock: We went to Magen’s Point Resort for dinner at Simply Italian Restaurant. The food was good but not quite the same as Nana's! :wink:

Saturday, June 21st ~ Today we head to St. John! :D :D :D We have breakfast, pack-up, Dan follows us to return our rental car and takes us to the Red Hook Ferry. We cannot thank our gracious hosts enough for their hospitality the past 4 days…our stay at their beautiful home has just been incredible! We are asked by our villa greeter if we will take the noon ferry over so she can take us to our villa for the orientation…check-in is 3pm and she knows the cleaning crew will still be there because there was a group of 12 who had just checked-out that morning but we could drop off our luggage so not to have it in the car all afternoon. Sure, no problem, we have done this our 2 previous trips! All is going well so far…we arrive, meet Judy, she takes us to get our rental car for the week (a very nice 4-door Jeep Wrangler from Bougainvillea Leasing…1st time using them and great experience) and we follow Judy to Chateau Margot on Bordeaux Mountain! We are familiar with this area and the breath taking views…last summer we stayed at Drake’s View…the driveway just before Chateau Margot’s! After the quick villa orientation, we head back to Cruz Bay for lunch at Deli Grotto and to get groceries at Starfish Market. We get back to the villa around 3:10pm…and don’t have the best villa check-in experience...details on that to come in a villa review later. Our family attends Saturday evening mass for the 1st time. Not sure if it was because it was Saturday evening or not, but mass was only 1 ½ hours compared to 2 hours on Sunday morning! :) We really enjoy attending mass while on vacations and love that we feel “at home” with Father Anthony at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church. We went Saturday evening so we would have a full Sunday Fun Day! 8)

Sunday, June 22nd ~ Dan and Marcia take the car barge over to join us for a day at Leinster / Waterlemon...1st time for them! It is a gorgeous sunny day with only a few clouds passing by! On the hike out, I recognized someone I had known for a few years from the forum but never had a chance to meet because when we have been on island, she has been in Kansas City!!! Pia...such fun getting to SEE you! 8) There were a few more people at the beach than past visits, but no worries! The water was calm as we snorkeled out towards Waterlemon Cay and really wasn't bad as we snorkeled around. Our friends were amazed at all the fish and beautiful coral seen! They were with Gabe about 100 yards ahead and seen a 6 foot shark...didn't get a photo...were a bit anxious and swam away from it. :shock: :lol: On our swim back, we were fortunate to see a Spotted Eagle Ray again this year! So graceful to watch it glide through the water! We ate our packed lunch of bbq chicken Dan and Marcia brought and an awesome variety of desserts we brought from Deli Grotto picked up the day before...not a crumb left for the mongoose! :o Time for a second snorkel...JD went around Waterlemon Cay while everyone else had fun in Leinster Bay...turtles, Southern Rays, starfish, lots of fish and a small Reef Shark seen! After a full day in the sun, our friends have to head back for the car barge. Grateful they loved Leinster / Waterlemon as much as we do! 8) We decide, it is probably time for us to head to the villa for a quick rinse, swim in the pool, dress and head to Cruz Bay for the Food Fair! We bump into Captain John and Sue Brandi there! We decide to eat at High Tide and enjoyed a beautiful sunset with our yummy dinner! Then did a bit of shopping while walking around listening to great music!

Monday, June 23rd ~ Today is our son's 17th birthday so it will be whatever he wants to do! Well, I suppose the busy week of snorkeling and late nights caught up with our 2 teens...they slept-in until 2 pm! :o :shock: So, JD and I decide to make it a 1st for our family... a Villa Gravity Day! We enjoyed the beautiful view from the pool here at Chateau Margot... took the telescope out to get an up-close view of Norman Island. Wow, we could see Pirate's Bight where we had lunch Thursday! 8) Very relaxing day... feeling Blessed to just take in all the Beauty! About 5pm we go in to shower and start getting ready to head to Coral Bay for a Birthday Dinner at Shipwreck Landing…this has become a nice tradition! I think everyone decided to eat here as well because it was packed. Hence service was a bit slow. No Worries thou because the drinks, food and dessert were as we always find it... delish! Back to the villa to watch a movie before heading to bed. Enjoyed the day, but I'm ready for more snorkeling!

Tuesday, June 24th ~ We are up for a couple of hours before the kids get up! Hmmm, which beach to head to today? Everyone decides it is a Francis Bay Day! We get there early enough to park in the close lot. There seems to be more people at the beach today also...maybe this is the norm now for June? :? We don't remember the last few years there being crowds like this...not that it is too crowded to enjoy the beautiful beach and clear water, lunch at the picnic table and a snorkel to see a small octopus in its den! We stay possibly a bit longer than we should...our red-head Rose gets a bit of a burn even though we reapply sunscreen twice! She isn't going to be happy but I think she may have to switch from the short sleeve rash guard shirt to the long sleeve. :x Back at the villa we swim for a bit, shower and head to Coral Bay for dinner. We decide to try Island Blues for the first time. We get there and are told they just opened back up so have a limited menu. I have to be honest, I thought about leaving. The cook comes to the table to tell us what he can prepare that night. Sooo glad we stayed...drinks and dinner were great! I had a couple of "Living the Dream" drinks and the chicken wrap which had a bit of a kick to it...yum! JD had the blackened Mahi, Gabe had the shrimp and chips and Rose had a hamburger...all were yummy! :) Back "home" at our villa, we decide to watch another movie...Crocodile Dundee! They kids have never seen it and laughed out loud several times! Love the experiences and memories we are creating! :D

Wednesday, June 25th ~ We celebrate another birthday in paradise...today JD turns 51. Knowing that there are 3 cruise ships in today, we decide to head over to Lameshur Bay. We find a nice spot to set-up for the day with sun and shade. The guys go out for a snorkel while the girls walk the beach...I know I shouldn't be disappointed in not finding any sea glass...but I do love adding to my collection. After our picnic lunch, we walk up to the ruins for what has now become a favorite photo spot. Then a second snorkel and some fun tossing a water ball around. When leaving, we always say..."next time" well this was the next time...we stopped to take a quick self-guided tour of the Tektite Museum at VIERS. It was fascinating to read and "see" how the aquanauts lived 60 days under water! 8) The tradition stands...birthday dinner at Shipwreck Landing where food, drinks and dessert are a hit with the entire family! Movie tonight...the original Footloose! :)

Thursday, June 26th ~ We head to the North shore and Cinnamon Bay for the day! Beautiful day...love the sand and colors of the water, setting up under a sea grape tree, watching the seagulls rob lunch from unsuspecting first timers as we enjoy our packed lunch and watching the kids have fun on the paddle boards while fighting the waves on a windy day! :D Before heading back to the villa, we stop to get dessert to go at Deli Grotto...tonight is dinner at the villa and pool time!

Friday, June 27th ~ Last day…sooo many beaches we have not made it to this year. :cry: Of course the kids sleep in again today…Trunk Bay’s lot is already full, no parking spots at Gibney…we decide on Hawksnest….perfect, it isn’t crowded. :D I enjoy Hawksnest…walking the beach and the view! Gibney is just a short swim/snorkel away so we visit there as well…the kids enjoy playing on the tire swing! After lunch we decide to move to Maho…another 1st for us…3 beaches in 1 day! :D We park and set-up chairs in some shade under a palm tree. I head out to snorkel the left along the rocks…get maybe 3 photos taken and the camera says battery is dead…swim back and get the GoPro camera. I am not familiar with this camera at all but do manage to get a few good photos of a very large fish…I believe it is called a Cow Fish! After about 4 hours of beach time we head back to the villa to shower and get back to Cruz Bay to pick-up Dan and Marcia who come over to join us for dinner. :) Carnival begins tonight and Cruz Bay is hopping! We want to avoid the crowd so guess where we take them…Shipwreck Landing! Food was great but I was a bit disappointed in the service…disappointed because this was Dan and Marcia’s 1st time to eat there and the waitress made us feel as if she would rather be home or at Carnival. :? Dan and Marcia surprised us and treated us to dinner…belated birthday dinner they said. After taking them to the ferry, it was back to the villa for a bit of packing.

Saturday, June 28th ~ Sad it is departure day. :cry: Packed and left the villa at 9:40am, JD drops us off at the ferry dock and returns the rental car. We do a bit of shopping at St. John Spice, eat our packed pb&j sandwiches and catch the 11am ferry. Dan is at the other end waiting for us and takes us to the airport…thank you again Dan! :D We experience much longer lines at customs on a Saturday but still have plenty of time before our 2:40pm flight. We have dinner at the airport in Charlotte during our layover…the flight to Kansas City was a bit bumpy due to storms but we arrive at the airport safe and sound at 9:13pm where my sister-in-law is waiting to pick us up…home by 10pm.

Thanks for taking the time to read my trip report and/or watch the videos.

Our tans will fade but the memories will last forever! :D
Jo
longingstjohn

Re: Trip Report June 17 - 28 with videos!

Post by longingstjohn »

thanks for sharing. beautiful pics.
brian
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Thank you for sharing your island-hopping adventures! Looks like y'all had a great time! :D

Loved the eagle ray pictures from STJ. We finally saw one for the first time last year. Amazing!

And as for the STT video....I can never get enough turtle pictures!

Thanks again for sharing! I'm ready to be there in oh....about 29 days to see all this with my own eyes! :wink:
star2515

Post by star2515 »

Thanks for posting your trip report, I had a great time reading and watching!!! I can't wait to go back!!
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Well, after 4 trips to STT and STJ you have finally completed a full trip report with pictures :lol: It was great to see the photos and your family having a wonderful time. I know one day we will meet and hopefully it will be on STJ. It seems that Shipwreck Landing was a restaurant of choice!!! One of our favorites too!! Always big portions and that comes in handy when feeding the teenagers. Thanks for the memories!!
rImage
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I have that villa on my list. How was it?

Sounds like you really did have a great trip.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Great trip, great photos, great snorkling, great diving, great food...what else could you ask for? I watched the entire two videos wishing I could have been there. I thought I could feel the sun and the water.

Was it just me or was there no audio with the photos?

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and/or watch my long report. :)

@ Hawaii ~ I knew I could count on you to give me trouble on finally finishing a TR after 4 visits! :lol: We are doing a total home remodel next year so not certain on what that holds for our family visiting STJ next summer but JD and I are thinking...it is time for a "couples" trip!

@ PA Girl ~ so sorry I have not done a Villa Review yet...one vacation ran into another vacation! I should be able to get to it this week and will send you a PM. Chateau Margot is a great villa for a family with young children...2 bedrooms share a bath and are on the upper level of the main house next to the master bedroom.

@ jimg20 ~ are you giving me trouble also?!! :P NO audio with the photos! I did really good to FINISH a trip report and get the photos made into a video! Maybe next rip I will figure out how to add music! :oops: :lol:
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

For anyone interested in my villa review of Chateau Margot, it is now post. :)
Warning...it is detailed and long! :o
Here is the link: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... -view.html

Wishing everyone a trip to St. John soon! :D
Jo
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

Thanks for taking the time to write and share the report. I have good intentions after every trip.. but ........... :shock: