STJ (Over or Under) Reactions - June 2014

Travel discussion for St. John
Ed S

Re: STJ (Over or Under) Reactions - June 2014

Post by Ed S »

Enjoyed your comments 54B. Thanks!
As for Gibney, this past June 1st (Sunday) was our first trip to Gibney (6th trip to St John in ~5 years, but had never been there). Being our first day/morning on St John (arrived late Sat.), we started heading to Francis, our usual first beach. We are not early risers at all. After leaving Gallows and picking up our snorkel gear at Low Key, we headed to Francis, and as we were passing the Oppenheimer gate (somewhere between 9:30am-10:00am), to our surprise we noticed nobody was there, so we quickly snagged the first spot at the gate (but all the way to the left as to not block the gate). So glad we did - very nice quiet beautiful beach. Will definitely return (although not necessarily take the first spot - someone parked next to me, blocking the gate, and nearly blocking me in).
As for the Sahara dust - this was our first trip during early June. We did notice it, but also noticed hardly a drop of rain the 9 days we were there. We agreed we will take the dust over the rain (and it was clear on some days during the first week of June). We usually go in early December (added a June trip to celebrate our 30th anniversary)...... we first started coming in mid November, which was just too rainy for us. So overall we thought the weather (dust and all) was great!
Image[/url]
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Cory! Nice to see your post.

Was your celiac friend with you again this trip? I'm wondering if you know of any new gluten free options.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

We just experienced Gibney for the first time in January...There were some people who came over from Hawksnest but they went right back...Thankfully there ARE only a few spots to park!! We were only one of about 3 couples. That was OK--
54b

Post by 54b »

Thanks, Teresa and yes, my "gluten free" friend was on this trip and you know, she is so smooth now at restaurants that I don't even notice or think twice about it anymore. Good example, we went to Skinny's twice and both times, she slipped the waitress a couple of gluten free buns. Waitress took them like it happens all the time.

As for restaurants that cater specifically to it, the Vybz place I mentioned above seemed to almost be entirely gluten free and Curry night at Sweet Plantains was big hit. I don't think the entire menu is gluten free, but the masala dishes seem to be close.

Otherwise, and I think you've noticed this too, we've found that just about every restaurant on STJ with the exception of maybe Vie's and the pizza places, has a gluten free option of some sort and the wait staff is usually ready to advise when someone requests it.

LoriJo, glad you liked Gibney. Seems to be one of those beaches where it either becomes your instant favorite or you just say, "meh, not worth a few less winks of sleep." But I love it and hope the parking situation never changes. Though, I've noticed when locals have parties down there, they open up the gate and there are probably about 15 spaces down there near the yellow house. So if demand for Gibney continues to rise, will be interesting to see if it opens up more. No doubt the owners of the Oppenheimer estate will fight that vigorously and I hope they do as Gibeny fits the spirit of the island.

STJ itself is all about people willing to "work" a little harder (relatively speaking of course) on vacation whether that be getting up a little earlier, hiking a little farther, shopping/cooking/packing your own food, renting a villa and car, or even simply taking a ferry. And that's what I've always loved about STJ. If you're willing put the effort in, you really can get away from it all.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
kklay

Post by kklay »

54B, I really liked your last paragraph. It really sums up St. John for me. It takes a little work, but so worth it to get away from daily life/routine! I have 135 days to think about the next trip this Fall!
54b

Post by 54b »

Thanks, KKlay. Congrats on another trip to the rock. 4 months out is usually about the time I start checking the forum once a day. The trip is starting to feel real at that point. About 4 months before this last trip I wrote like a 9 page itinerary mapping out every day (beaches, snorkels, hikes, restaurants, etc.).

Don't judge :)

And I had no delusions that we'd actually follow it, but trading it back and forth with everyone going on the trip was a lot of fun and sure helped pass the time. Plus, having a friendly debate about where to go via email prior to the trip pretty much removed any potentially terse debate on where we all wanted to go while on the trip. And what's funny, we ended up following it pretty closely because everything on it was really what we wanted to do and try. Also made it a lot easier to work in things like the BVI trip, date nights or afternoons when two of the four adults on the trip wanted to go kidless for a few hours and work in things like watching the US in the World Cup without having to impose on those on the trip who could care less (the morning of the US/Germany game we did Salt Pond/Ram Head, making it easy to eat lunch at Skinny's where a lot of fans had gathered. Kids never even noticed there was a soccer game on.)

Anyway, worth a try if you hadn't done one already.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

"So if demand for Gibney continues to rise, will be interesting to see if it opens up more. No doubt the owners of the Oppenheimer estate will fight that vigorously and I hope they do as Gibeny fits the spirit of the island."
The USVI Govt. owns the Oppenheimer property and 2 adjoining parcels - there was recently a Town Meeting discussing the use of the property that raised many conflicting ideas, you can read about it here:

http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/lo ... ors-concer

This site will allow you to find the owner of almost any USVI property if you zoom in.

http://www.mapgeo.com/usvi/
54b

Post by 54b »

Interesting stuff, Exit Zero, thanks for the links.

Hard to comment since I'm not a local. But if I was, I think I'd vote to keep the space available for nonprofit functions that occur during the day. I know the "for profits and bands want a rec place too, but I thought they did just fine near the NPS dock during carnival. Logistics wise, Gibney really isn't set up well for large crowds and certainly don't blame Ms. Gibney for trying to keep the area near her property tranquil.

Also thought this was interesting:

"Use of Oppenheimer Beach is now restricted to nonprofit groups and individuals between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. with no amplified music allowed."

Doh. I'm a STJ law breaker. Sometimes we get there as early as like 7:30am.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

SO EXCITED to see something like a TR from you up here. Can't wait for the REAL DEAL.

We are Gibney fans, too. And even on vaca, we are early risers, so we are usually THAT JEEP there first. You're welcome.

Haven't been to Waterlemon in quite a few trips. If we do, I'll bring some trash bags. Trashy people. Sigh.

And sad news about Honeymoon. That has become one of our favorite snorkels (the point between Honeymoon / Solomon).

How did you like Bay Rum Breeze? We looked at that one. We love Mamey Peak. We'll be there in ... oh ... 24 or so days.... Not that I'm counting.
kklay

Post by kklay »

I'm really excited to try Gibney on our next trip. So sad to hear about the trash, I don't think I have seen a big issue an Cinnamon in the past. Our group is good about picking up after ourselves and also cleaning up what "leftover" items/trash we see. I really have an issue with cigarette butts - even at home. Just don't understand why some smokers seem to think it is OK to throw them out the window or step on them to put them out, but then not pick up the butt to dispose of properly!

Enough of my venting! Time to look at the Spice Cam. . . . .
54b

Post by 54b »

Thanks, ColumbiaSCT, and congrats on the 3 week countdown.

Loved Bay Rum Breeze. Villas seem to be the one thing on STJ that we never do the same thing twice, but I'd rent this one again in a heartbeat. It's just good everything - view, location, amenities, owner, villa management, etc. Ideal for families of 4-6, three couples or like one of those girls trips with 3-4. Very versatile and well designed. Also big fans of Mamey Peak/Bordeaux Mtn. area. That's our STJ sweet spot because we feel like we can go anywhere on island without much ado. Usually going to a beach takes something akin to mobilizing the troops, but going to Leinster or Maho from Mamey Peak is almost like taking your kids to the park down the street. If I had to poke holes, the villa is almost six miles from Cruz Bay exactly, so it definitely caters to the Coral Bay'ers and the sunset enthusiasts won't be as high on it because it faces east. But we're morning people, so it was perfect for us and everything we wanted. And being so high up, the breezes really made it enjoyable even at the hottest time of the afternoon and we rarely saw a mosquito while there. (Star gazing deck also a big plus).

KKlay, enjoy your first foray to the "not so secret" garden of Gibney and I've always been impressed by the lack of trash on STJ. So seeing all the trash near Waterlemon Cay's entry point was definitely disheartening. But as I've thought about it more, my bet is that it's not necessarily a unique situation, it's just that good people (including the NPS) pick up the slack for the litterbugs with more vigilance at the more well trafficked beaches and because that entry point for the cay is so remote, you just don't have as many people picking up after others. It's not like there's a trashcan every 100 feet or any for that matter there. So you have to pack it out. The trash is also back in the trees and bushes, so it's not like just sitting on a beach and easy to simply pick up. Unfortunately, from what I saw, it probably would take a troop of Boy Scouts a good half day to get it all removed. That and the erection of a modest, non-intrusive, NPS-sanctioned sign warning of the dangers of currents around the cay would be a good aspiring Eagle Scout project if we've got an headed to STJ :)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

54b wrote: Sweet Plantains was big hit. I don't think the entire menu is gluten free, but the masala dishes seem to be close.
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades :P :lol:

I did get glutened once on STJ and I'll tell you, that is no way for a celiac to spend a vacation!
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

54b wrote: About 4 months before this last trip I wrote like a 9 page itinerary mapping out every day (beaches, snorkels, hikes, restaurants, etc.).

Don't judge :)
My people!

I do a schedule that lays on the counter at the villa. My group likes to plan. We love to get together a couple of times before the trip to plan/argue/debate about restaurants and activities. I am I charge of restaurant reservations and the "it a Maho beach today and Shipwreck for late lunch" or "vie's then Skinny's".

No one is under any obligation to follow it but then no crying when you missed one of your faves. This all sounds nutty I am sure but the guys work high pressure jobs where they make decisions all day, every day so they are more than happy to let me plan.

Bay Rum Breeze is a winner all the way around. We loved it.

I am the type that likes to stick with a house I love. I let my husband and friend talk me into a different house last trip. It was place that looked great on line but was a major disappointment. A double disappointment as it cost a lot more than BRB. Oh well, first world problems......
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Sorry to chime in if I'm incorrect, but wasn't that the beach that the couples in the movie "The Four seasons" got stuck...?
Great flick.- Awesome soundtrack, too.
I have no problem being wrong, so somebody correct me!
Love that little patch of wonder, either way.
Smiles-
MJ
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

"Sorry to chime in if I'm incorrect, but wasn't that the beach that the couples in the movie "The Four seasons" got stuck...?"

Yes - the exterior yacht shots were of the vessel 'SANDAVORE' and there was a beach scene at the Gibney beach, later in the film the actors were also shown jumping off the boat filmed on the N. side of Lovango.