October vs April?

Travel discussion for St. John
mlr214

October vs April?

Post by mlr214 »

Hello everyone

It's been so long since I've been on this forum but am happy to be back and researching/planning our next trip.
Basically we're trying to pick which time of year to visit October or April?
Our two previous trips (just me and my husband) were late April and mid May. Our first trip in April 2 years ago was awesome. Last year in may we had hot weather, less breeze and some rain.
Now this trip will include our two children and another family of 3. Kids will range in age from 2/3-6 depending on when we go. I think October would be better bc of kids ages but not sure about weather.

I know this has been addressed in old post but wonder if any info?
Thanks
liamsaunt

Re: October vs April?

Post by liamsaunt »

I have only been in October once (for our first stay, actually). I loved it. The island was very quiet, we had fantastic weather the whole time, the ocean was warm and flat, so conditions were ideal for snorkeling. Some restaurants were closed but there were lots of choices.

That said, two days after we left the island there was 10 days of continuous deluge. I believe the final rainfall tally was about 26 inches (this was in 2003). October is considered one of the rainier months, so you are taking that chance. If you hit the weather right it is fantastic.

I have been four times in April. It is busier than October, and the ocean is cooler. I find it hard to stay in snorkeling for too long in April. This last April I wore long underarmour and a long sleeved rashguard and that helped a little. The weather has always been nice on our April trips, with a lovely breeze and clear skies. There are usually passing showers but we have not had a washout trip in April (we have in June). A couple of times there has been a swell on the North Shore.

Since snorkeling is so important to me my favorite time to visit is summer. The tradeoff there is that the island is quite warm (hot!), and there is always a chance of a storm.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

We've been about 4 times in each month. They weather is not that much different to us. April is a little cooler sun & water IMHO. October brings the chance of hurricanes. We now go in June or July, we are from SC and are used to hot & humid but it is different on St. John. Not sure if you can swing it but with kids I think the summer would be better. The ocean is its calmest then too.
BostontoSTJ

Post by BostontoSTJ »

We've been to STJ 3 times in October (#4 in 103 days, but who's counting.)

Pro's:
1. It's hot, I love the heat
2. It's empty (the beaches don't close for the season).
3. Good deals on hotels, not sure about villa prices

Con's:
1. Possibility of a hurricane
2. Some restaurants aren't open

All in all I hate crowds and I don't think I could deal with in season STJ.
RickG

Post by RickG »

We're fans of October and early November and we're coming down this year, along with over 30 forumites, Halloween week. We've been down in October many times and love it. The water is warm, low season rates and most places open sporting fresh paint. It's rainier and the weather is less settled and less predictable than April.

April is fun and low season rates usually start April 15. May is usually rainier and the mosquitoes will come out after a big rain, so we tend to go in April right when low season starts.

I'd pick whichever comes first.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

We did STJ April last year, the week before Easter, I would NOT suggest that week. Beaches crowded, you need diner reservations, airline and ferries schedules were a mess! WE found the water to be much cooler that time of year than our usual Aug/Sept trips.
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

Will let you know in 3 months! Deals in October seemed very good. Cant wait to write my first trip report.
High in the rockies?