Cemeteries on St. John?

Travel discussion for St. John
SFbvi

Cemeteries on St. John?

Post by SFbvi »

Hi, this question is for long-time residents. My husband's grandfather is buried on St. John, but we don't know where exactly. His name was William (Bill) Dunham Thorp, and he was married to Erva Boulon Thorp; they had a guesthouse at Maho Bay. Bill had a daughter, Ella (my husband's mother). Ella passed away recently, and her wish was to have some of her ashes buried with her father on St. John. My husband and I are planning a trip to STJ in August. Can anyone tell us whether there is more than one cemetery on St. John? And who we would need to contact to get permission and assistance with interring the ashes? Thanks for any information.
jerseygirl062

Re: Cemeteries on St. John?

Post by jerseygirl062 »

There are multiple cemeteries on St John - 3 I can think of easily - one past the Cruz Bay Beach toward Gallows Point, Coral Bay near Calabash Boom and a small one opposite Vi's on the East End. You are smart to seek info ahead. I hope someone knowledgeable can assist. Good luck in your efforts - I admire your dedication - beautiful place to find peace.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I would reach out to the St. John Historical Society - http://stjohnhistoricalsociety.org/

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
lprof

Post by lprof »

Looks like there are 4 cemeteries listed on this website. I do not find your loved one listed, but I wish you well in the search.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 273&CSsr=1&

This is an interesting site for genealogy buffs.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
madelon

Post by madelon »

E-mail me at contactus@stjohnhistoricalsociety.org and I will let you know who to contact.