TGIF Photo of St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
acaldaroni

TGIF Photo of St. John

Post by acaldaroni »

It's been a while since I've written on this forum, if I'm not mistaken it was about a week after my return from heavenly St. John.

My Wife and I are trying to plan another trip - perhaps in February but in the interim, I figured I'd share another photo from our remarkable 6 hour Kayak trip. Also - for the shameless plug, see more of the photos from St. John at http://www.antonycaldaroni.com

Enjoy, we miss you St. John!
54b

Re: TGIF Photo of St. John

Post by 54b »

Cool pic. Is that the beachhead on Whistling Cay (next to that old stone house) looking back at Francis Bay?
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Thank you for the marvelous view from Whistling Cay.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
acaldaroni

Post by acaldaroni »

Sorry for the belated reply - indeed it is the view from Whistling cay. My wife and I made one hell of a kayak trip through some rather rough winds. And, while most may think this is no big deal - my wife had never been in a kayak before. It was an interesting test of our marriage. :)
54b

Post by 54b »

Thanks, Acaldaroni. My wife and I made that trek a few summers back when Maho Bay Camp was still there and you could rent their kayaks. The trip out was pretty easy, but after talking her into snorkeling around the entire cay (word to the wise, only the side facing the bay is worth it) and having to row back to Maho against the tide, I'm pretty sure I put that whole "love and to cherish" part to the test as well.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

My wife and I made that trek from Cinnamon. It was a great trip out through Maho and Francis. Lots of turtle sightings. She lost her left sandal somewhere between Cinnamon and Whistling Cay. So being the gentleman I am, I offered her my left sandal when we disembarked at the cay. I hobbled around with one bare foot until we found a left sandal in the floatsam behind the guard house. All was good while we snorkeled the western side and while we took some pictures and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the day. BUT! upon trying to return to Cinnamon, we had about a 3 foot surf at the rocky beach on Whistling and that made it difficult to enter the water and climb onto the kayak. We came up with a plan whereby I (again being the gentleman I am) would be first in the water and climb onto the kayak, turn it around in the surf and hold it in place for her to climb in. All went as planned until the her climbing in part. She lost my left sandal in the surf and was trying to fish it out of the water while I fought the surf and rocks. I called for her to get on and forget about it. She insisted, I insisted that if she waited any longer that she was going to be left on the beach as I could not hold the kayak in place in the surf any longer. I wish I had my camera and a free hand to get the picture of her as she flopped onto the kayak, face down, feet over the front of the kayak while I was fighting desperately to keep the yak off the rocks. She lay there until I was able to get us out of the surf and on our way back to Cinnamon. Even with the trouble re-entering the kayak, we agreed that we would do it again.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"