Verizon's Global Service

Travel discussion for St. John
ToonMann

Verizon's Global Service

Post by ToonMann »

Several folks on the TA board have indicated that they've had success making cell phone calls from the USVI by signing up for Verizon's Global Service.

When I call the Global Service number (800 711 8300) and tell them I'm interested in this service on our Verizon iPhone 5 in the USVI, they tell me that no such service exists. It's available for Europe, but not the USVI. As such, Verizon voice calls from St. John cost $1.99/minute. Period.

On our visits to St. John, we've either used an AT&T Go Phone or have replaced the SIM card in an iPhone 5 to switch from Verizon service to AT&T. Both of these options work (although the cheaper Go Phone we purchased has bad audio), we would like to know if anyone can tell us if Verizon's Global Service is really an option for St. John.

Thanks.

TM
PA Girl

Re: Verizon's Global Service

Post by PA Girl »

We have Verizon and switch over to the Global plan every trip, I think the fee is $30 for the month. I don't think we were charged $1.99 a minute. My husband uses his phone a lot on vacation and I would have noticed a higher bill amount. Ours is a business account. Maybe it isn't available for consumer accounts? We have Android phones but I doubt that makes a difference.
KidLiggy

Post by KidLiggy »

We were told the same thing from Verizon, Global/international not an option, $1.99 would be the fee. Now my wife called them a few times our 1st night and someone had her change a setting (I'll ask if she remembers what). We had problems with connections on Bordeaux the 1st few days but something kicked in and worked the rest of our trip. We made a few texts per day and maybe 3 phone calls the whole week, we were charged $20 total when I looked at the bill which I didn't think was too bad. Verizon did say not to send photos via text as it could be much more, we never tried.
cowboy17

Post by cowboy17 »

Just download a free app called viber. make sure any person u want to call or text has the app too. u can make as many calls and texts u want for free over wifi. there are many places on st john where u can find free wifi to use. I have used it and it works great
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I just came across my paperwork from our last STJ trip and there was a print out from Verizon in the file.

Under the Global Rates section it reads "business customers may have different rates than the consumer rates listed above..."

the consumer rate is shown at $1.99 per minute as others reported. We have a business account, which explains why our rate was lower.