Beach bar owned by KC?

Travel discussion for St. John
Backtotheislands

Beach bar owned by KC?

Post by Backtotheislands »

My sister says Kenny owns a lean to beach bar somewhere and she thought on St. John because her friend went there. I figured somewhere on here would know if this is true and where it is. Thanks!
lprof

Re: Beach bar owned by KC?

Post by lprof »

It is really none of my business and I know that KC likes his privacy, as do we all... I believe it is on another VI island and not necessarily a business proposition. If I knew for an absolute fact I would still not say more.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
BostontoSTJ

Post by BostontoSTJ »

Love KC's music, but have heard from countless STJ sources that he is the smuggest human being alive in person. Wouldn't surprise me that he'd buy a lean on a property
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I think they meant a lean-to and not a property lien

No matter what they meant, what he owns or does not own is not widely publicized but is often wrongly reported. There are countless stories of folks who have been at "the bar that Kenny owns" and 99.9% are incorrect. We walked by Woody's a few years ago and as the owner was handing someone a drink at an outside table they asked "So, what is it like to work for Kenny Chesney?" :lol:
Backtotheislands

I told her I was pretty sure he didn't own one on St. John, maybe Jost or another island but I had no idea and that personally I hadn't heard of him owning one. BUT that doesn't mean he doesn't! And yes, not a lien, but a lean-to! lol
RickG

Post by RickG »

We've been to just about every beach bar by land and sail and haven't heard about one owned by any specific celebrity. KC did buy a freezer for Ivan on White Bay, but that is very much Ivan's place - probably your closest bet.

As for smuggest human being? We see the guy walking around in flip flops and a baseball cap looking like a regular guy. We just leave him alone.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
BostontoSTJ

Post by BostontoSTJ »

RickG - You can't make 10's of millions of dollars, charge people $150 to go to your show and expect to be left alone. He chose that life... I'd bother him just to get my monies worth out of him.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

BostontoSTJ wrote:RickG - You can't make 10's of millions of dollars, charge people $150 to go to your show and expect to be left alone. He chose that life... I'd bother him just to get my monies worth out of him.

I just don't agree with that. Sorry.
I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars to see him multiple times and I purchase all his music. He owes me nothing outside of a great concert and more and more great music. Expecting anything else is rude in my book.
BostontoSTJ

Post by BostontoSTJ »

The price of confidentiality and privacy is baked into those ticket sales.

Some celebrities can make the lifestyle adjustment, but clearly from what I hear Kenny cannot (also add Luke Bryan to that list), must be a country thing.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

BostontoSTJ wrote:The price of confidentiality and privacy is baked into those ticket sales.

Some celebrities can make the lifestyle adjustment, but clearly from what I hear Kenny cannot (also add Luke Bryan to that list), must be a country thing.
I guess I don't get why people think that celebrities owe us anything. I have never met him and can not make any comment about how he acts or how he behaves when not working. I don't read gossip magazines or websites or watch those horrible shows that are just as bad as the magazines, etc.

I make my decision on what kind of person you are by personal experience and the only way that I will have any comment on what kind of person he may or may not be, will be when he starts talking to me at a bar. That's all I have to say :)
BostontoSTJ

Post by BostontoSTJ »

"I guess I don't get why people think that celebrities owe us anything."

do you get why they get paid millions of dollars for playing music while teachers make pennies on those dollar for molding the minds of the youth?

There are plenty of celebrities and athletes out there that will openly tell you that goes with business. I don't even know how this is up for debate.
54b

Post by 54b »

Wow did this thread fly off the tracks.

Xislandgirl, I'm thinking BostontoSTJ is being facetious and just having fun. To compare the income of one famous country singer against the perceived pay of the entire teaching profession is silly. For every KC, there are hundreds and thousands of struggling musicians who don't have two pennies to rub together (I've met some of them on STJ). And while I don't disagree that salaries of teachers should be higher overall, it's not like there aren't many teachers who make over six figures. They're called Professors. Moreover, your odds of becoming a tenured Professor commanding a large salary are exponentially greater and more accessible to you than becoming a world famous singer.

The reason KC makes millions of dollars is because people like Xislandgirl are willing to spend $100s to hear him play. He doesn't charge those prices because he's smug or selfish or egotistical, he charges them because he can. He also knows that he needs to charge those prices while he can because fame is fickle.

I agree that the price of being a celebrity is your anonymity. But not your privacy. If he's out in public and someone recognizes him, he should expect that and acknowledge the other person, but certainly nothing beyond a wave, a smile or a simple, Hello or something else that doesn't interrupt whatever he's intending to do.

That said, If your definition of "get your money's worth" is a hug, a selfie and a cameo in his next music video, well I think your expectations and interpretation of our laws on personal space are a bit distorted. :D

No idea what his typical demeanor is or how well he's adjusting to a lack of anonymity, but if he is as you say he is, chances are good those concerts and ticket prices won't stay inflated for long.

My guess though is he'll continue to succeed just fine because he's a regular dude, just as susceptible to human frailties as the rest of us and has his good moments and bad no different than anyone else...with the exception that he does it under a much, much bigger magnifying glass.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

+1 54b. I wasn't gonna respond because I wouldn't be able to say it as well as I think you did. So I'm glad you did it for me.
Backtotheislands

Thanks guys, just a question, not planning to "bother him"! Love most of his music, would be thrilled to see him on island, but wouldn't dream of bothering him. I had just never heard about him owning a bar, but sister's friend told her she went to "Kenny's bar in the Virgin Islands". Xislandgirl, my thought was like yours: someone just thinks a bar belongs to him for whatever reason. My thought was Ivan's, too, even though it isn't his. Everyone deserves "peace" on vacation!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Here's my two cents. Yes, teachers are paid far too little for a very important job. Yes, entertainers -- most top level entertainers including music, movies and pro sports -- are paid too much. That has made the cost of tickets out of reach for many American families. You cannot take your family to a major league baseball game for less than $500 when you add in parking, food, drinks and tickets. And there are thousands talented artists who never will make more than a couple of thousand a year with their skills.

When KC or any of the others chose the life they live, they gave up the right to strict privacy. They should not expect to walk down the street and not be greeted by fans and even asked for an autograph. They did NOT agree to be persued by paparatzie (sp.?) in high speed chases and have their families bothered. They did not agree to being asked to sing a few bars of a song on request. Some fine ways to cope. I understand that when KC goes to Woody's, he surrounds himself with people who keep people away with cell phones. That is him controlling the message.

When a previous poster referred to teachers' pay, I suspect that they were talking about K-12 school teachers. By the way, being a tenured professior is not as lucrative as some seem to think. At state schools, full professors shouldn't expect much more than $75-100k unless they are some sort of superstar prof -- you know like KC, Garth Brooks or Brad Pitt are in their respective fields. For all they may have accomplished -- when compared to the commercial world -- that's not much money. They might be able to pull down $200k if they jump to the commercial/industrial world.

Oh yea, which bar does KC own?????? :wink:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....