Coral Bay Marina

Travel discussion for St. John
iheartsj

Re: Coral Bay Marina

Post by iheartsj »

Here is a link to the actually proposals that have been submitted to the DPNR.
http://1drv.ms/1pCZFyd

This is posted on the cloud by the Coral Bay Community Council. Read it and judge for yourselves.

Not real obvious in reading the proposals is that the developer proposes to not only own the marina and a huge land based development; but also is making a deal with the DPNR to operate ALL the mooring in the entire harbor. If you are a boater, take a look at the proposed mooring field. Figure 3.0-3. I'm not a boater but this sure looks crowded to me. Basically the developer is taking over the entire bay. How will boats manage to get to the part of the bay by Skinny's?

I'm not against a marina but this one is TOO LARGE.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Apples to Apples... Sopers Hole has 45 slips and 20 moorings... Yacht Club @ Summers End is to have 145 slips and ADD 19 moorings to those now existing. Sopers Hole Marina runs along the shoreline, YCSE is to extend 500ft into Coral Bay Harbor.

My estimates put the new dock area at around 11 sq acres of Coral Bay Harbor. In my opinion - the current plan is just too dang' big!

A Sopers Hole size Marina would be a much better fit.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Yeah, it seems that this proposal is just way too grandiose for the location. I have no clue about the economics of owning and operating a marina but I would hope that something far smaller in scope could work. Because the island does need a marina of some sort.
lprof

Post by lprof »

... no longer a stranger to paradise
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

I think this is a bad thing and I hope it never happens. The Island is getting smaller and smaller :(
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Does anyone know where the Phase 2, "Le Petit Maisons" part of this project is located ? I see on Summers End website it states Phase 2 "Pre-sales, engineering and preliminary road prep complete"
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

We love Coral Bay the way it is! :(
[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

bdkane, check out the permit application for East Bay Club - http://www.coralbaycommunitycouncil.org/Land-use.htm

This is 28 units on the far east end of the island on East End Bay.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Thanks… I thought the the artist rendition appear to be looking from above Aqua Bistro. It seems the homes won't be an overwhelming eye sore out East facing the ocean
hugo

Post by hugo »

Actually, the marina as proposed is larger than any other marina in the Virgin Islands. It is also the most incomplete application ever seem for a major project, and the principals have no devopment or marina experience.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Just some facts for those that might be interested.

The Summer's End Group (marina development group) does not have a commitment from Customs to put a facility in Coral Bay. Customs barely has enough resources to operate the facility in Cruz Bay.

It is the responsibility of the Dept of Planning and Natural Resources to enforce the use of holding tanks. They are not doing their job by allowing those boats to remain in Coral Harbor.

The marina is proposed for the wrong side of the harbor. It will be exposed to the open ocean and most of it's docks sit broadside to the wind and waves. If you are a boater you know that you will be rocking and rolling in these slips which is an uncomfortable, dangerous and damaging condition.

During hurricanes and tropical storms boats routinely wash up on shore at exactly the place this marina is proposed. During the mild Trop Storm Bertha, 3 boats broke loose and ended up on this shoreline. No boats ended up on the shore on the other side of he harbor which is suited for a marina.

Good News. The Coral Bay Community Council has just received a federal grant that will remove the derelict boats from the harbor.

Please be sure to know the facts before your decide if you are pro or con concerning the Summer's End marina. You can see the plans and comments by clicking on the marina picture as www.coralbaycommunitycouncil.org

Here are links to news articles.
http://stthomassource.com/content/news/ ... a-proposal

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/ ... -1.1739425
loria

Post by loria »

thank you Iheartstj....i think that many didn't read the entire proposal-- or realize that there hasn't been a commitment to place a customs station there (among many other things) -- and the fact that the scale and placement of the marina are wrong on so many levels not the least of which being the fact that it faces out to sea. their 'greening' of their proposal is absolutely laughable....
And who really wants a hugo boss outlet there anyway?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

145-slip marina approved.

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/ ... e-2-0-vote
CZM OKs Coral Bay Marine by 2-0 Vote
BY LYNDA LOHR — OCTOBER 1, 2014

The St. John Coastal Zone Management Committee on Wednesday approved a proposed 145-slip marina development to be built in Coral Bay.

Committee members Edmond Roberts and Andrew Penn voted yes. The third member, Brion Morrisette, abstained because he had represented the applicants.

The proposed marina development is to be built by Summer's End Group in Coral Bay.
ms411

Re: Coral Bay Marina Approved by CZM

Post by ms411 »

I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Both unbelievable and expected.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....