Coral Bay Marina

Travel discussion for St. John
snorkeler525

Coral Bay Marina

Post by snorkeler525 »

http://www.stjohnnews.com/index.php/com ... d-on-shore

Can't believe this article hasn't been posted yet. Why do we need something like this anywhere on St. John????
RickG

Re: Coral Bay Marina

Post by RickG »

Why do we need it? There is nowhere for yachts to pump out there waste anywhere east of Charlotte Amalie. Those liveaboards in Coral Bay aren't going three miles out to discharge. A well planned marina on St. John, I'm not saying this is the one, will help the health of the VI National Park and the Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument. Well managed marinas in the BVI are great civic citizens. Hopefully we can have at least one on St. John, eventually.

Cheers, RickG
Last edited by RickG on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mizarumonkey

Post by mizarumonkey »

Are you really asking, or is it a blanket, "change is bad" kind of post?

If really asking, the biggest positive I see is the pump-out station. Sure, you're not allowed to dump in close waters, but without another pump-out on STJ, do you think all boats just store "it" forever? How about live-aboards and other less-mobile vessels, when's the last time you saw one of those make a run for the mouth of the bay just to turn around and re-moor?

Also positive, their plan to include space for customs. This will make BVI sailing charters more viable both for operators and for tourists, as Coral Bay renters could pick up and drop off in Coral Bay.

With dockage space for big yachts, it will likely bring more money into Coral Bay. I know, money bad, big yachts bad... but shop owners, restaurant owners, and everyone else who makes their livelihood off the tourist industry here (basically, everyone aside from the trustafarians playing poor and the retired) will disagree with you.

Last big one I see, again from a more local perspective, is that for a small island surrounded by water, it's ridiculously difficult to own a boat here. Even with waterfront property, docks are near-impossible to permit, and existing mooring fields are haphazardly filled and waste tons of space. If just 20, or 50, currently-moored boats decide it's nicer to have dock power and water, that opens up spaces in Great Cruz and Johnson's for others to occupy.

Yes, it's change. But, the properties around Coral Bay have been zoned for this kind of development for decades, and the current state of the bay is pretty sad... essentially a floating trailer park, not a quaint community. Try snorkeling some time in that area of the bay - more likely to see broken boats, tires, half a chair, engine covers than actual coral. The developers will have a fight on their hands from the status quo groups either way, but I wish them luck.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Some of those liveaboards never move and probably couldn't sail 3 miles out even if they had the desire to do so. All that waste is going right into the bay. But then again, I also think the goats, sheep and donkeys are bad for STJ's bays (destruction of veg and soil runoff) while most think they are charming.

ETA - I wonder how public opinion would change (or not) if it was the Moravian Church benefiting from the marina development? It has been report that they own the other potential marina site.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

I understand the pump station benefits but it seems to me that this marina is too large for Coral Bay. I'm not a change is bad person; I'm all about what is right for the environment and am concerned that the bad will outweigh the good. Will it really be as environmentally favorable (or at least neutral) as suggested? What kind of trash will those big yachts bring in or will they be required to take it with them? I doubt the latter so they will add to the trash issue the island already faces. Has anyone surveyed to see if it really will free up some moorings for locals to use? Would be great if it did but I'm not convinced live-aboards will pay the extra cost of the dock fees, whatever they might be.

As for snorkeling in that bay, it certainly won't become a snorkel spot with the marina either - it will be way too busy with boat traffic. Maybe the developers should be required to clean it up if it is that bad.
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

Well, this sucker is right in front of our villa. So, we pray for the best. Coral Bay could use a little cleaning up - not sure if this will help or hurt. Just don't see it taking off for a while - look at Voyages for instance. It was a lovely place and couldn't make a go. Now Lily's is gone. It is very quiet over here and we hope it remains so. They have been talking about it for years. So depressing they closed the school under the premise of "low enrollment". Guy Benjamin would be so sad...
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Like Seagrape, I'm sitting on my porch on Seagrape Hill looking out over Coral Bay and the site of the marina with mixed feelings...

I've been digesting the news all day...

I've loved Coral Bay for what it is since I started coming here 20 years ago...

But it's a little sad now with so many closed businesses (the gas station, Donkey Diner and Sputniks in addition to the ones listed above, and a part-time Island Blues).

I think we need a little positive energy here and maybe (or not) this is it...

I think Coral Bay is resilient... I think it will always be funky...

Things change everywhere... And the fact that local St. Johnians are developing the marina gives me hope that this change might be managed well...

Let's all hope so...
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

Well said, El Presidente! See you guys soon...
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

As a former resident of Coral Bay, I have mixed thoughts of this news. In addition, I am a boat captain, so I can relate to the need of a marina. St John needs a modern yachting center to meet the needs of boat owners and charters. My reservation about this whole thing has always been size. And after seeing the proposed marina layout, I see why I had reservations. I would prefer this would be on a smaller scale. 145 slips is large for any marina, anywhere.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Isn't this the one across the bay in front of Island Blues, Voyages, etc....not below Seagrape Hill....maybe I am confused. Either way, I agree with RickG, much needed and good for Coral Bay and St. John and all the sailors out there!
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

I am obviously the confused one! Sorry! I had recently seen some plans for the one by Skinny's. The other one across the harbor is much farther along in progression. Maybe we'll all love it! :)
RickG

Post by RickG »

Having big plans and permits is different from having big funding. I'd rather see something on the order of Leverick Bay rather than Compass Point. What I think will work is something in between with room for annual, monthly and transient dockage.

Having C&I in Coral Bay will be a big deal for boaters. I think that is really what will put Coral Bay on the map for vacationing sailors.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Have folks seen just how whopping big this marina will be? It extends more than half-way to Fortsberg, leaving the channel in place, but barely. The first slips start 150 feet from shore, with slips for the largest boats 550 feet from shore. That way, they won't have to do any dredging. It is also 800 feet long. With that much walking along narrow floating docks to do on the way back to your boat, I can imagine more than a few tipplers going into the drink. Check out the artist's renderings and marina site plan, here:
http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... d-on-shore

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

I just read part of the marina plan that includes waste water treatment and fresh water usage. They are proposing to use cisterns for their primary water source and fire suppression, and WAPA and/or Caneel as back-up. Vessel pump out will be held in a tank, only to be removed later for disposal to the municipal system.

Storm water run-off will include 1 inch of run-off treatment. This is small, but I know finding a way to increase this amount will be a huge endeavor.

Hopefully this all will be tweaked to include desalination and waste water treatment to handle the whole property.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I don't live on STJ so I don't have much room for my opinion I suppose..But I was thinking if it was nice like Soper's area on Tortola, with a couple quaint shops, a restaurant, etc..it might be nice? Soper's has seemed like a nice area. Maybe this can be for Coral Bay as well.
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."