Joe's Famous Diner is closing! RIP 1972-2014

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Joe's Famous Diner is closing! RIP 1972-2014

Post by Coconuts »

Alas, from News of St. John comes the word that Joe's Famous Diner, which has been on the market for several years, has found a new owner and will cease to exist as we have known it :(
http://newsofstjohn.com/2014/07/23/new- ... -cruz-bay/
On the one hand, we have to be happy for Kim and Trent, who have their hands full raising three children and running another business. From the perspective of our family, though, this is very sad news. We have all been addicted to the killer fried chicken from Joe's for nigh on fifteen years, along with their pates, burgers, ice cream, and other tasty and inexpensive fare. Kim and Trent are great people. Joe's Famous Diner is the longest established restaurant on St. John, having been started forty-two years ago by Trent's dad, way back in 1972. Back then, they had a great view of Cruz Bay from their stoop. The waterfront has changed a lot over the years. Unlike the other nearby Joe's (Uncle Joe's Barbecue, and Joe's Rum Hut), Joe's Famous Diner never caught on with tourists, who would give the place a sketchy eye as they hurried past. A lot of the work that goes into St. John is performed by people who can't afford to live there, and Joe's Famous Diner served a vital role in feeding these workers, who were a diverse crew from up and down the island chain. We were in town when Cafe Roma caught fire, and Joe's dodged a bullet then, escaping with only a bit of dripping water. We will, alas, have to find another place to sate our fried chicken jones; Hercules closes too early, and some of the food trucks and roadside lean-to's only do wings. I've heard that Starfish Deli may have picked up the slack, but have yet to try this. For anyone on island in the next weeks or months, if Joe's is still open, be sure to stop by.

Joe's Famous Diner was an under-appreciated gem in the heart of Cruz Bay for these many years; we will be very sorry to see it go.
Joe's Famous Diner, RIP  1972-2014
Joe's Famous Diner, RIP 1972-2014
Kim and friends at the counter of Joe's
Kim and friends at the counter of Joe's
All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beth Cruz

Re: Joe's Famous Diner is closing! RIP 1972-2014

Post by Beth Cruz »

One by ont the things that made St John unique and wonderful are falling. :( :(
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I wish them the best of luck but I will miss Johnny cake and cheese breakfasts.
:(
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I wish when people purchase something....why not leave it the same....it has been successful since 1972!! Lots of locals go there for sure and we get our breakfast sandwiches there! We never tried their fried chicken which I hear is great. News of St John article says "cantina with a surf vibe"....really....why not real food that real people want and STJ needs.... :(
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

what's this with the "surf vibe". St John is def not a surfing location.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

It was the best fried chicken and we will miss it dearly. Joe's Dinner fried chicken was always a must have on our island menu. We even had it for breakfast on our walk of woe a couple of years.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Joe's has been closed for the last week. i will miss the happy hour.