Reef Etiquette

Travel discussion for St. John
Florida Girl

Reef Etiquette

Post by Florida Girl »

This article focuses on The Florida Keys, but it's full of good common rules for snorkeling and diving on our precious reefs. If you are new to snorkeling, take a minute to read these 7 helpful tips! :D

http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/onthewater/etiquette.html
iheartsj

Re: Reef Etiquette

Post by iheartsj »

Some folks think that if they are standing on a submerge rock, they are not on the reef. They think only coral is the reef. What they don't realize is that those rocks are full of tiny corals and sponges trying to get a start and are all part of the reef system.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

whenever I see someone with a mask and snorkle---but NO fins---I try to educate them that those submerged ROCKS they're walking along on were small corals (were). I usually get that 'how dare you speak to me' look.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

IMHO, regardless of the "looks" you may get, keep educating those who are not "in the know." If you only educate one person, that's one person who may educate another person... and so on. :)
spindrift

Post by spindrift »

#6 “Leave marine life alone…Do not touch, handle, feed, or ride marine life.”

FG, just wondering then why you posted a photo of you grabbing hold of a stingray’s wing, entitled “me and my stingray friend!” on your Facebook page? :shock:
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

That was taken nearly 10 years ago at Stingray City on Grand Cayman where we were encouraged to touch the stingrays, hand-feed them cut up squid and lift them out of the water to give them a kiss. I touched only, and only once. I've learned a thing or two since then.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I guess I will just never understand people who hide behind an avatar to attack and pass judgment on others.

So done with this forum.
kklay

Post by kklay »

FLorida Girl, I am sorry to see your post that you are "So done with this forum". Don't let one person's post or judgement stop you from providing your helpful information. We all make mistakes from time to time. It is more important that we learn from those mistakes, whether intentional or not.

There will always be those individuals who look for the negative, rather than the positive!

I, for one, hope you will continue to contribute to this Forum.
hockeyboy09

Post by hockeyboy09 »

I just tell the barefoot ones to only step on the corals that are the color of mustard.