shop online starfish mkt?

Travel discussion for St. John
mizess

shop online starfish mkt?

Post by mizess »

has anyone ever used the online shopping feature on the website at Starfish Mkt? What do you think?
EastEnder

Re: shop online starfish mkt?

Post by EastEnder »

Have never used, so I may be mistaken, but I'd much prefer to select my own food, as often fresh goods, such as produce, can be in the state of perishing, and I want the best choice available. Shopping online is a craps shoot whether you'll be given the best, middling, or worst. Then again if all you want is alcohol and paper towels, sounds like a great option!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

We gave it a try, after we stopped shopping at Market Basket, in solidarity with the workers trying to reinstate Arthur T. Too much food spoiled using Priority Mail, and Express Mail with cold packs proved too expensive :wink:

All the best,

Kevin
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I do find the idea of having my groceries all packed up and ready to be picked up once we get on island quite appealing. I wish someone who had tried the service out for that purpose could give some feedback. I'm wondering if the prices are the same as if you actually did the shopping yourself?
happycanesfan

Post by happycanesfan »

I used this service June, 2013 and I loved it. If I remember correctly the cost for the shopping was 10% of the total cost of the groceries. If you want them delivered and stowed there is an additional cost depending on the villa location. I dealt directly with Nedra through telephone and emails. I did not order too much produce, but what I did order was good quality. I have forgotten the specific item, but the morning before we were to leave for St. John, she called to say a item did not look too good and she did not think we would be happy with it and could she substitute something in its place. I was very happy with the service. I will do it again. I might add, I do not like grocery shopping any time, especially the first day of vacation. My time on STJ is precious.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

So you picked your order up once you arrived? How long did it take, did you just go in and say "I'm picking up my online order?"
happycanesfan

Post by happycanesfan »

I had my order delivered to the villa. But, if I remember correctly, we had looked at both options...you tell them your expected pickup time and they have the groceries in the back. They keep cold and frozen items in the appropriate place until you arrive. Call and ask. Nedra was very easy to talk to and work with.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

happycanesfan wrote: I might add, I do not like grocery shopping any time, especially the first day of vacation. My time on STJ is precious.
We have provisioned for years and I love it. I hate grocery shopping at home and even more so on vacation.

So far my favorite has been Blue Sky Provisioning. The fee was 20% and everything was put away at the villa.

It can't hurt to ask the villa rental agency if they have anyone on staff that does it. After the fact, I learned STJ Ultimate Villas has a staff member that provisions.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

One of the things I enjoy about St. John is going to The Starfish. It makes me feel like a "local".