More about Mosquitoes

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

More about Mosquitoes

Post by Coconuts »

I considered tacking this on to Cocosmom's thread from a few weeks back, but decided it merited its own thread.

First off, for folks on island or arriving soon, we have a chance to calibrate just how long it takes after heavy rains for a mosquito bloom to hatch out. After a very dry summer, TS Bertha dropped over 2" of rain on St. John on Saturday, August 2nd. That will be one week tomorrow; if/when folks notice a decided spike in mosquito count, post and let us know. I have seen general estimates that vary from 7 to 14 days for eggs to complete their life cycle and hatch out, but this varies with location around the world, and the specific species of mosquito. Nailing how long this cycle takes would allow visitors to better predict what the island will be like during their stay.

I would definitely second cocosmom's point that your attractiveness to mosquitoes has a strong genetic (and maybe also a dietary) basis. It's pretty common to hear that one member of a party will be singled out, while the others don't get bitten. One strategy during likely blooms is to invite a not too close, mosquito-magnet friend to accompany you. For most of the year, we have a nice breeze up on the hilltop at Coconuts and Plumeria, and haven't usually found mosquitoes to be an issue, but during a heavy bloom with slack winds, they can show up. I've have been looking into the mechanisms by which mosquitoes find us, and turned up some interesting info along the way.

A mosquito's homing in on its target has two phases. From a distance, CO2 from our exhalations is the attractant, but once a mosquito gets within a meter or two, they switch gears, and home in on odorants on our skin, and in particular, to those arising from our feet and lower legs. It's a shame that tall socks and sandals look so clueless, as socks could actually offer a fair bit of protection. Up here in New England, mosquitoes are large and slow; I can usually tell that one is sizing me up, and am pretty good at nabbing them in mid air, or swatting them before they can bite. The mosquitoes in the VI are different; they are very small, and very fast. I hardly ever get them before they get me. I think that a number of mosquito bites are mistakenly blamed on no-see-ums, since the mosquitos are so stealthy.

A variety of natural repellents (citronella, eucalyptus, geraniol, etc) offer some measure of protection, but the gold standard for many years in repelling mosquitoes has always been DEET. DEET was developed by the U.S. Army during World War II, for use in jungle combat. Science may finally be about to deliver some safer and yet very effective mosquito repellents. Last December, the peer-reviewed journal Cell published a remarkable paper on mosquitoes, in which they found that the sensing organs for skin odorants were not in the leafy antennae, as had been assumed, but rather in the maxillary palps (the mouthparts), which are also the same sensors that detect CO2. To confirm this, they actually managed to wire up to the individual neurons of these sensing receptors, and observe their electrical activity as odorants were presented. They next developed a computer program that examined the molecular models of nearly half a million compounds to find ones that would inhibit or activate that sensor. The modeling predicted a few good candidates, with one compound, ethyl pryuvate, looking to be an excellent inhibitor of mosquito odor sensing. Subsequent human testing confirmed this. They also found cyclopentanone to be a very powerful mosquito attractant. This could be used in traps, but attracting mosquitoes, even to a trap, could easily be a double-edged sword.

I purchased a copy of the paper, but it is copyright protected. Here is a link to a popular summary that the University of California Riverside published, which includes a short video with one of the scientists:
http://ucrtoday.ucr.edu/19377. It's worth reading (and watching).
A link to the actual paper is here: http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(13)01426-8 (cut and paste the whole link; the last bit isn't hyperlinked for some reason).

It turns out that ethyl pyruvate is already GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe), and is even approved for use as a food flavoring, where it imparts a flavor described variously as "caramel / butterscotch / rum raisin". I collaborate with some molecular biologists with ready access to reagents, and one has volunteered to get me some ethyl pyruvate liquid. I will be testing this compound during our visit next month, mosquitoes willing, and will report on what I find. If anyone is on island then, I'll be the fellow who smells like rum raisin, perhaps wearing socks and sandals.

Edit: Olfactor Labs has licensed pending patents from the above research at UCR, and their website indicates that new inhibitory products may be on the way. A Ugandan test of their Kite technology platform was indiegogo's most popular crowdfunding campaign four weeks in a row, and Bill Gates tweeted about it to his twelve million followers. More info here:
www.olfactorlabs.com/our-solutions-2
www.olfactorlabs.com/technology
www.olfactorlabs.com/about-us

All the best,

Kevin
Last edited by Coconuts on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RickG

Re: More about Mosquitoes

Post by RickG »

Pretty cool. So, do you use the ethyl pyruvate as a food additive or as a topical? I can imagine a "fruity-scented cpA inhibitor" shot in cocktail.

The sooner we can get toxic chemicals like DEET off the market the better. The warnings and drug interactions for DEET are scary and make Dengue look like a better option. We'll stick to picaridin until something better comes along.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
luv2travel

Post by luv2travel »

Here is an interesting report on the affects of DEET to humans:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/consultations/ ... fects.html
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

Bertha mosquitoes have "popped" and are hungry!

Generally it is about 7 to 10 days after the rain.
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

We've been on island since Wednesday 8/6, staying out between Chocolate Hole and Hart Bay. The mosquitos have been non-existent for the most part. We had a couple in the house yesterday, but by and large they haven't been around.

We drove to Little Lameshur this morning and I expected to get devoured out there, but we didn't encounter any mosquitos there either. Perhaps it's too early, but (fingers crossed) we've been lucky so far.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Thanks, and keep us posted on what you notice around the island as this week progresses. The East End is pretty arid, so maybe mosquitoes complete their cycle earlier over there. Charlie: do you guys tend to get bitten at other locales?

All the best,

Kevin
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

We spent the day touring around the BVI and there wasn't a single mosquito in sight nor bite...

Back to the East End and the feasting continues...

Can't say whether arid conditions hastens the cycle or whether word got out that we have the tastiest blood.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

So its a mosquito replant and a food flavoring!

Much like a floor wax and a dessert topping.
https://screen.yahoo.com/shimmer-floor- ... 00185.html
RickG

Post by RickG »

... always preferred the dessert topping for cats. I bet it would go on a Pyruvate Punch.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I wanted to revive this thread as we are preparing for a trip in October and have a question. We are hoping for no bug issues, however, I am a "bug magnet extraordinaire" and would love to find a solution other than DEET. On one trip to StJ when there was an intense bloom of mosquitoes, I had over 100 bites, while my hubby and friends had very few. I've read that taking 50-100 mg per day of Vitamin B1 can help. Also read that this dosage doesn't have any harmful side effects.

Has anyone tried this and found it really helps? I've heard that you have to start taking it ahead of time too.

thanks!
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

Sorry I'm not answering your question, but we had good luck last week with the Off with Picaridin. And the island was positively BUZZING where we were!
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

Just wondering if there is a season for higher amounts...or is it all year long after any rain?..
We will be there at the end of Oct. Hoping for little to no rain...

I have used Skin So Soft...for many years here in the NE Pa. On myself and my horses...works great...Cant say Im in love with the smell ( my kids use to call it granny smell...LOL)
BetsyV

Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

AquaGirl: Hi; I hope all is well. Coconuts misses you! I recently managed to score my reagents: 100 ml of ethyl pyruvate, and an entire liter of the less expensive cyclopentanone (photo below). Ethyl pyruvate is reported to inhibit the sensing neurons that mosquitoes use to detect their prey. Cyclopentanone is reported to be an effective mosquito attractant. This could potentially be good for use as bait in a trap, but if it attracted mosquitoes that would not have otherwise approached, baiting a trap with it could be a double-edged sword. I will be conducting some initial field trials of these compounds up here in NH, and then on the very different mosquito species that lives on St. John when we head down next month. I will report back to the forum on their efficacy, or lack thereof. If they prove as impressive as the UC Riverside research suggests, I could leave some around for you to try, but I might also need a release form :) My first approach will be to dissolve some ethyl pyruvate in witch hazel and spray it on my clothes, but I will also try some applied directly to skin. Both liquids have a base alcohol-like smell to them, but I can see where the ethyl pyruvate came by its rum-raisin description.
Ethyl pyruvate and Cyclopentanone
Ethyl pyruvate and Cyclopentanone
All the best,

Kevin
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Skeeter population can vary widely from day to day and location to location. We now live on Bordeaux Mt and have very little trouble with mosquitoes. Spent several summer months at an ocean front property where they were horrible. If we go to town in the evening I always wear long pants and socks as do most people I know.
Skeeters are always worse in brushy areas.
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Kevin, I hope you get all those skeeters taken care of before we get there! :D They always LOVE me and the feeling is NOT mutual!