Trip report: Two more weeks in paradise, final

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Re: Trip report: Two more weeks in paradise, final

Post by liamsaunt »

54b wrote:Hope you're feeling better than a few months back. Looks like you are and glad to hear it.
I am feeling a LOT better, thanks! Things are looking good.
NJsurfsup wrote:The Leinster drift, is that the snorkel from the first small sandy area as you head out to waterlemon?
The beach is rocky. It is before the sandy beach. Look for the three mooringballs right off shore. Walk just past the furthest one and go in the water there. Travel to the left as far as the point, and then go out to the depper area and swim back. You want to go into the deper area for the return because you will be swimming against the current and will need to use fins to kick back. The water is too shallow in most of the area where the coral is to use fins. You can just let the current pull you along while looking at everything. It is a very good snorkel.
Pickle wrote:Liam and Caili seem to have become good snorkelers, haven't they? I rather remember Caili wasn't so happy snorkeling at first...

Great, great trip report as always, and thank you for including the photo of Sunnyledge even if it was boarded up. We love staying on Francis as you do!
Yes, they have both improved greatly. Liam is like a fish, he can handle everything! Caili still brings a noodle though she does not really need it. The only time she balked a bit was when we did Waterlemon and she had to jump out of the dinghy. She did not want to jump, and ended up kind of sliding down the side of it to get in the water. :lol:

I took that picture of Sunnyledge with you in mind. :D

Thanks for all the nice words everyone.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

:D Thanks so much for the leinster snorkel info, the Mary creek area is on my snorkel wish list.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Great report and pictures as always!

Looking forward to the villa reviews.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Thank you...love your reports with all the photos!
Shipwreck Landing is our family's favorite dinner spot. I don't believe I've ever seen coconut cheesecake on the menu when we've been there...will definitely look for that next time!

So happy to hear you are feeling better...prayers for that to continue.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I had to go back and read from the beginning. Thanks for spending the time to take and post your photos! We tend to get a little relaxed and skip a lot of the photos. But, the flashback when I see these is great.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

Wonderful as always. I love the fact that you travel with your family and everything is simpatico. If considering a change in profession, you could do snorkeling tours for those of us who have never seen an octopus :wink:
HughA

Post by HughA »

Great TR! Am waiting for your villa reviews.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

HughA wrote:Great TR! Am waiting for your villa reviews.
2nd! I love your reports, but I'm always up for a villa review for a place we haven't stayed yet! I get nervous when there isn't anything mentioned. Was it good and you are keeping it a secret? Was it bad, and you don't want to bring it up?
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
island5

Post by island5 »

3rd! Especially the first villa, Alta Gracia, as the second villa is quite out of the price range presently :(
(Back to lurking)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I will definitely write the villa reviews. I am on vacation again this week and won't get to them until I am back in my normal routine sometime next week. That is why I cranked out my trip report so fast....if I did not do it before this vacation I probably would have not bothered. The villa reviews are already logged in my journal, I just need to type them up.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Just as expected, another wonderful report!
We're crazy about Shipwreck, coming in a close 2nd for favorite restaurant on island behind Aqua Bistro. Those darn pix of the food and drinks really got my mouth watering...! I'm always drawn in by your writing and photos, but that one with the cheesecake takes the cake!!! (...pun intended... :lol: )
Such fun!
Thanks for sharing!
Smiles-
MJ
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I'm so glad I checked in and didn't miss your trip report Becky. It's always such a pleasure reading your reports. I feel like I've been vacationing with you for years! Maybe we'll be on island at the same time someday!

I too, am curious to read your villa review and especially how you feel that Altagracia compares with Argonauta. How nice that they donated a week for the raffle. I love Argonauta's location and have often wondered about the other villas in the area. I also was wondering if the villa that was recently built just next door to Argonauta was strictly a private home or if they accept vacation rentals. Do you happen to know?

You look wonderful and glad you are feeling great, too. Make the good times all the sweeter doesn't it? XOXO
dctac

Post by dctac »

Excellent...... Thanks
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Agent99 wrote:I too, am curious to read your villa review and especially how you feel that Altagracia compares with Argonauta. How nice that they donated a week for the raffle. I love Argonauta's location and have often wondered about the other villas in the area. I also was wondering if the villa that was recently built just next door to Argonauta was strictly a private home or if they accept vacation rentals
It was the owners of the second house, On a Clear Day, that donated a week to the auction, not Altagracia. The owners of OACD are involved with the Friends...one perk they offer for renting is that they sponsor a year's membership in Friends for you. They have owned the land since the 50s but just built on it recently.

Altagracia is directly below Argonauta. You can see part of Argo through the trees from the pool deck. They are somewhat similar in terms of size and amenities. Alta has a better pool and outdoor space. Argo has central air while Alta is bedrooms only. Both have nasty driveways! I think Alta has better views as there is that telephone pole in the middle of Argo's view.

I am not sure if the house next to Argonauta is on the market or not. Maybe someone else will chime in, I remember a whole back someone pm'd me that they toured the house right after construction was finished.
auntsweety

Post by auntsweety »

Your pictures are stunning! I particularly like the first storm picture. The greys with the green. Wow! And the sunset pics? Spectacular! So glad you had a great time.