not really a trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
Charlie2001

not really a trip report

Post by Charlie2001 »

My bride and I enjoyed our 5th trip to St John from August 6-12th. We stayed at our usual spot, http://www.longviewvilla.com and enjoyed it as much as ever. The weather cooperated wonderfully, we came in just after Bertha and didn't have many issues with mosquitos until the very end of our trip.

We ate at the usual spots, High Tide, Banana Deck, Lime Inn, and a couple wonderful meals from Etta's in the Marketplace. The $3 "you call it" Happy Hour at Joe's Rum Hut was a daily stop as well.

My wife rented a stand-up paddleboard at Cinnamon Bay and fought the 20mph winds for an hour, but she enjoyed the workout. We snorkeled Maho, Cinnamon, Little Lameshur, and Francis all with reasonable water clarity. Lots of turtles close to shore at Francis, which was a nice surprise.

I'll leave with one pic I took on our last full day. We were lounging at Francis and when I walked up out of the water, I turned to look back and knew I needed to grab my camera.

SamanthaL

Re: not really a trip report

Post by SamanthaL »

Can you tell me the brand of that float and would you recommend it?

Did you take it with you or buy it there? Thanks!
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

Hi Samantha, this one was at the villa, but we own one as well. It's a Swimways spring float

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... oat/123537
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

We booked Longview for next June and are so excited about it because it will be our first pool villa. Did you spend time by the pool in the evenings and if so where the bugs tolerable?
I always love going to st john but i am really looking forward to staying at Longview.
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

Hi NJ, we spend every afternoon at the pool, and have rarely had issues with mosquitos at all. There's not a lot of standing water out there on that peninsula between Chocolate Hole and Hart Bay, and the breezes are really great too, so maybe that helps.

The pool is a great temperature since it faces south and gets sun all day. I think you'll love Longview!
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

Excellent, thank you for the reply.
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

Charlie2001 wrote:Hi Samantha, this one was at the villa, but we own one as well. It's a Swimways spring float

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... oat/123537
Thanks, I just ordered 2 for our October trip!
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Great picture! You could put that next to the definition of relaxation! Glad you enjoyed!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Nice pic!

We have six Swimways on de boat. The papasan chairs are great little guys that fit in carryon luggage. The bigger floats, like the one shown, can come with a drink holder.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
leslieeliz

Post by leslieeliz »

That picture should be on the front of a magazine. On second thought, maybe not. It would draw too many people to STJ.
kklay

Post by kklay »

It really is a peaceful, beautiful picture. I think you should frame and hang it up somewhere in your house. Then you can dream about your next trip!