Does anyone like.....

Travel discussion for St. John
GratefulDad

Does anyone like.....

Post by GratefulDad »

The Westin Villas as much as me? I used to rent houses on St John years ago. For the past sever trips I got a Hillside Villa and loved it. I know The Westin gets a bad wrap on other travel sites and since this my first visit here, I'm wonder if I should climb into my Kevlar suit.

My name is GratefulDad and I am a St Johnaholic.
PA Girl

Re: Does anyone like.....

Post by PA Girl »

Welcome to the party grateful dad!

Kevlar suit? Maybe but it is (usually) good natured jabs. Unless you start a debate about the best car rental business......;)

I can't speak about the Westin villa but I feel the same way about Caneel versus a villa.
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Party?!!!!!

Thanks PA Girl. Caneel is an awesome place. I love to visit and snorkel there. I've been to STJ 16 times and don't claim to know everything about STJ, but I look forward to returning each year. My 17th trip is booked for April 2015 and I can't wait! We went twice in 2014 so I don't know if that is going to be the new normal but it was great. I was there for TS Bertha which was interesting. Its all good rain or shine.
bigred

Post by bigred »

We LOVE the Westin - have owned a week in March in a hillside villa since 2006. My husband doesn't take much time off, so we don't want surprises for the little vacation time we have. We have our routine down now, from the time we pull out of our driveway until we return. We love being able to check in at the airport and having someone take care of our transportation to the Westin. We rent a Jeep from O"Connor, located at the Westin, so we can go wherever we want in the daytime, but take taxis from the Westin into Cruz Bay at night for dinner - no concerns about parking or drinking and driving.
There are times when I wish we had some of those fantastic views that you can get from villas, but I look forward to a week of walking into the same unit each year and knowing exactly where the wine opener is - no surprises!
By the way, STJ is the only place where we go to the same place every time -
kklay

Post by kklay »

We've stayed in a three bedroom pool villa as well as the hillside villas and love them both! We also stay in villas and have stayed in Grande Bay. I would love to own a few weeks at the Westin. The grounds are beautiful and I always enjoyed a day by their pool. It's all good wherever you choose to stay.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

bigred wrote: My husband doesn't take much time off, so we don't want surprises for the little vacation time we have.
Yep, I have one of those as well.
RickG

Post by RickG »

To each their own. I completely get the amenities and full service of the Westin and Caneel.

We love the villa and condo experience with the full kitchen. Villas cannot be beat with a group. We actually prefer a smaller place for just the two of us. These days, much smaller with our boat.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

The Westin is just so easy to use as a home base. I've stayed in Villas all over the Island as well as condos like Grande Bay, Cruz Views, and Hillcrest Guesthouseto extend stays. Yes the Villas with views are nice, but I don't spend much time around the resort or a Villa for that matter and the time I do spend there is after sunset.

Happy Labor Day!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Don't no anything about The Westin but I like your screen name 8)

Peace!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Thanks Lisa!

Peace right back at ya.
dctac

Post by dctac »

Weston is great. Good to bring all the kids and grandbaby. Nice not to have to spend the day cleaning to check out......
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

With our kids still being relatively small (4 and 7 now), we've gravitated to the Westin Villas since we've been coming down with them. Our general MO is going to a different beach every morning, and then spending time by the pool in the later afternoon - especially when the kids used to nap more. Factor in the other amenities that the Westin has, and it really works well for us. We usually bbq a couple of nights and then otherwise eat in town. Aside from a random lunch, we rarely frequent the Westin restaurants.

We've stayed at villas before and they definitely offer a slightly different experience. Some aspects work for us, some not as much. The only thing I tell people if they stay at the Westin is to make sure they get out of the facility. Its fine to spend some time there as its very nice, but if you spend your whole vacation sitting around the pool, you are missing out on what is STJ.
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Exactly Crash! We head to the beach, stay until 2-3 ish, head to the pool for an hour or so (sometimes the pools up on the hillside are completely to ourselves), grill or head to Cruz Bay for the evening sunset/diner and crash in a kingsize Heavenly bed. Villas are nice, but I like that if you plan on going to Cruz Bay and having a couple drinks, you can get a taxi there and back.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

GratefulDad wrote:Exactly Crash! We head to the beach, stay until 2-3 ish, head to the pool for an hour or so (sometimes the pools up on the hillside are completely to ourselves), grill or head to Cruz Bay for the evening sunset/diner and crash in a kingsize Heavenly bed. Villas are nice, but I like that if you plan on going to Cruz Bay and having a couple drinks, you can get a taxi there and back.
Grateful Dad!....I think you and me would get along!
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Ya Mon, it's a groovy place. In fact it's all about having a good time with the kids and showing them a good time. My 11 year old son will be coming with me this year. We are so pumped already.