2014 VIOL Ornament Gift Swap

Travel discussion for St. John
ski2play

2014 VIOL Ornament Gift Swap

Post by ski2play »

Hello all, the 2014 VIOL Ornament Gift swap has been officially kicked off this afternoon. To those who have participated in the past, lets do it again! To those who have only read the rumors that this is a blast welcome aboard! As many of you know I got bit hard by the island love on my newbie virgin voyage. But I digress, lets have some fun with this exchange.

First, if you got an invite today and want to participate you must respond! I can not read you mind on this one.

Second, if you did not get an invite and want to participate go to the following website and sign up for an account.

http://www.elfster.com

Be sure to include your forum name and complete mailing address, email, etc so I do not have to track you down. Plus, you want to get your prize in the end. Also, if you would please email me here at the forum I will follow you through the system to be sure you are included in the draw.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. If I do not know the answer I will figure it out. I am excited to be a part of a such a great group of people. Game on! :D
TheBeatyBunch

Re: 2014 VIOL Ornament Gift Swap

Post by TheBeatyBunch »

Ski2play,

Can you explain for us newbies???? Sounds like it could be fun.

Thanks,
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Lots of fun indeed.

If you, (collective you) would like to participate you sign up at Elfster and let me know, and/or probably easier, send me your email address via pm and I will send you an Elfster invite.

From there, it gets easier. All interested parties are paired up, taking care to make sure previous players never get the same individuals twice. You purchase an ornament (highly favored are those from St John) and mail it prior to Christmas to the individual you have been paired with. It is so much fun to get a package in the mail with a new tropical ornament enclosed. Easy Peasy! :D

Please do not hesitate to let me know if I have not answered your questions fully.

Oh yeah, we set a suggested limit of $10 per ornament since you still have to pay for shipping also.
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Since I won't be on island till next May, is there a list of shops where I can shop online to find a St.John ornament? Would prefer to buy something locally made, but understand that might not be doable unless they have a website. Thanks! :D
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Great question!

I only know of St John Spice.

http://store.stjohnspice.com/categories ... d-Magnets/

Come on VIOL....any other places for our participants to shop?
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Ski2play, I went online to Mongoose Junction shops, scrolled down to each store and opened their websites. But I couldn't find any ornaments available less than $24. Tried Pink Papaya, too. There might be things in the shops, just not shown on website.
And a bottle of St.John Spice Rub hanging on a string would be a great ornament as far as I'm concerned! :D
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

The ornament I sent last year was one I crafted myself (but it wasn't super homemade looking - I was actually very proud of it) using a photo from Maho. The ornament I received did not come from St John, although it's "vibe" was the sort of thing one would expect to find on St John and I loved it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as it fits the theme, it doesn't actually have to come from there, does it?
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Michigan, the ornaments don't have to come from STJ as long as they have that beachy theme like you said. I just thought it would be cool to give something made on island. And you made your own ornament! I'm impressed...and a little intimidated. :lol:
I'll keep looking. I'm sure I'll find something soon. Oh, and I need to sign up!
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Agreed on all of the above. I have sent/received both ornaments from St John and ones that have a St John "vibe". The important part of the exchange is to have lots of fun with it!

I love your idea Michigan on the photo! So many great photos to choose from!

Now Miss Nancie-Pa, get yourself signed up!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

I'm fairly certain that Island Fancy in Mongoose Junction (same owners as Bougainvillea) has Christmas ornaments. Ask for Mary (she has been working there every time we stop in annually). www.islandfancy.shoppingstjohn.com
As an aside, although we had never bought ornaments there, we were looking for a specific Inner Visions CD. Mary was so helpful..... she didn't have it, but picked up the phone and called Jupiter's wife, who had Jupiter personally deliver the CD to her store! Only on St John!!!
Image[/url]
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Not sure of everyone's budget but these would be really nice. If not for the exchange then for yourself. I have been wanting to order one. You can pick sand from several beaches on STJ or many other beaches or you can send you own sand in. Pretty cool idea.

http://www.beachsandsnowflakes.com/beachsand-snowflake/
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

I thought removing things from National Parks was illegal? Not usually one to worry too much about these things (god knows I take enough sand away from the beach in my jeep), but it just struck me as odd that someone would be making money off this.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

I must admit, I was thinking the same thing nikkiki this morning as I got myself around for work. I obviously need a life, since this is the type of thoughts that go through my head. :lol:

Sad Panda, party of me!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

stjchica wrote:Not sure of everyone's budget but these would be really nice. If not for the exchange then for yourself. I have been wanting to order one. You can pick sand from several beaches on STJ or many other beaches or you can send you own sand in. Pretty cool idea.

Cute idea but, how would you know it's really the sand from that place? And, I'm with the others, it's probably not legal either.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:
stjchica wrote:Not sure of everyone's budget but these would be really nice. If not for the exchange then for yourself. I have been wanting to order one. You can pick sand from several beaches on STJ or many other beaches or you can send you own sand in. Pretty cool idea.

Cute idea but, how would you know it's really the sand from that place? And, I'm with the others, it's probably not legal either.
Agree too - all I kept thinking was aren't we supposed to leave only footprints - we need to leave the sand where it is supposed to be.