Navigation between forums - malware?

Travel discussion for St. John
AquaGirl

Navigation between forums - malware?

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi fellow forumites. When I try to navigate to a different forum (from the STJ one), my browser goes to another website advertising software to clean your PC. It happens every time I try to go to the OT forum. Anyone else having this issue? Perhaps we have malware on our PC and its just our own personal problem! I wanted to raise it in case its an issue with the forum itself.
lprof

Re: Navigation between forums - malware?

Post by lprof »

Hi AquaGirl... I have no trouble on my iPhone which all I have access to right now.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Just discovered that very same thing. Did not have it yesterday. I'll keep tabs on it at various times today to see if it's still around.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I haven't seen it. I'm on a Mac with Safari.
janet
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thanks for the responses. I was on a Windows laptop when it happened. It happened several times yesterday, but I don't see it tonight. Hopefully the issue is gone.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

It does sound like your browser at the least was hijacked. The ads on the site right now are all from Google - and I know that you can get browser extensions from downloading other software than detects the Google JavaScript and manages to inject other code into the spots Google code should be. Or - it can just be any kind of malware... I have seen this on a lot of machines lately. I do think our site is "clean" if that helps...
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Hmm - now I am seeing weird behavior too! Maybe there is an issue and the ad code from Google on the site is compromised. I have to dig deeper - fast. I will keep you posted.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi Anthony,
For several days I didn't see any issues or popups, but today I got a popup every time I came to the VIOL website. Its not happening on any other website (that I access) other than this one, so not sure what's happening.
Good luck in tracking down if there is any garbage-ware in your system!
AG