Budget Car Rental

Travel discussion for St. John
samoka

Budget Car Rental

Post by samoka »

Greetings - I haven't seen much chatter about Budget lately and was wondering if this meant their service had improved or that people either stopped using them or complaining about them. I found a great rate for my high season week in February. I would like to hear any feedback both positive and negative.
gibber161

Re: Budget Car Rental

Post by gibber161 »

I for one have not had a problem renting from Budget...6 times in the last 10 years. It is so much easier to walk to the counter and get your keys and pick up your vehicle in the parking lot adjacent to the airport. Returning the vehicle is just as easy, park in the lot, see the attendant and have him sign off on the vehicle and bring the paperwork to the desk in the terminal. Some people have had problems with Budget...everyone has a story to tell about the other car rental companies as well. I can only comment on the good service I have encountered while renting from Budget. We did use Dependable twice during this time period and we will not use them again.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I used to recommend Budget but I'm done with them now. I've used them 9 times since 2003 and they have gotten worse and worse and after our last experience, I'm done.

Two trips ago we had to wait over an hour for a vehicle...our daughter was 17 months old at the time so you can imagine how much fun that was. But the last straw for me was our last trip when we waited 2 hours for a Jeep. It took so long that we couldn't stop for groceries so the little bit of money we saved on the rental was negated by paying extra for groceries on STJ. Plus, the stress is just not worth it. Standing around in the airport not knowing if and when a vehicle will show up, and contemplating what the heck you're going to do if you miss the barge....just not a way to start a vacation.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

If coming to St. John, I recommended not renting on St. Thomas. Several years ago we rented on St. T. After we had the car on St. J we discovered that the 4 wd did not work. To get it exchanged would have meant a full day lost, a round trip barge ride to St. T. We chose to do without the 4wd.

If you rent on StT and have an issue with the car you will have to take it back to StT for service. It is really not worth the little you might save.
kklay

Post by kklay »

iheartsj,

Your information is not totally correct. I know some rental agencies on St. Thomas do not have anyone to service the vehicle on STJ, however Amalie Car Rental does and we've used them many times over the past few years with no issues. Their vehicles are new each year and I am sure that contributes to the success they have had. I'm not sure about Dependable, Discount or Paradise Rental, regarding service on STJ.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

As disgruntled as I am with Budget, when my parents needed a new Jeep 3 years ago they brought over a new one on the ferry and my parents met them at the dock.

And I’ve been told that Amalie has help available on STJ; we’re renting from them next month.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
samoka

Post by samoka »

Thanks for the feedback. I remember seeing a lot of complaints about Budget not having the vehicles that had been reserved and was wondering if that is still the case.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I use Budget and Avis for short-term rental on St. Thomas. The kind of rental where "I'll take what you have available" works. For STJ, I rent from Amalie and like it.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI