Off season questions??

Travel discussion for St. John
Backtotheislands

Off season questions??

Post by Backtotheislands »

:D 1) When we were there before we parked at Caneel and took our chairs, etc to Honeymoon, snorkeled to Salomon, and got drinks, etc at Caneel so we had "free" parking. I understand Caneel will be closed when we are there. Can we still park there? If not, where is the easiest to hike from carrying chairs, snorkel gear and ice chest?
2) I've never been to Gibney because the 3 or so parking spots by the gate have always been full and I felt like I'd be trespassing to go through the property. Can you park somewhere else? Do you just hike straight down the road?? Details, please!
3) Never been to Dennis either and might want to try it. Exact details how to get there, please!
4) Finally, what will Jost be like on a Friday this time of year?
Thanks all! :D
ski2play

Re: Off season questions??

Post by ski2play »

I will let some of the experts answer your St John beach questions. We have had the pleasure of hanging with a local the time we went to Gibney so we were taken behind the "gate". Our trips to Honeymoon were via the hiking trail from town (not with an ice chest) or from the Caneel parking lot, so again, I am of little help.

Now let's talk Jost, when you say what will Jost be like on a Friday, I assume you are talking about the White Bay area? We stayed on Jost last year for a week about this time and it was very quiet, think St John 30 years ago, but we were down near Foxy's Taboo. Not a lot of places to eat on the island open, but the one's that were, Abe's and Sidney's Peace and Love were so delicious. The two days we got in the jeep and went to White Bay, there was a nice crowd (on the beach, we were the only car in the parking lot), but not PACKED. You were 2-3 deep at the bar still, but not a long wait. It really depends on the weather, water conditions, and charters.

p.s. If you see me on Jost on Friday, be sure to say hi!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Can't answer your Caneel question, but we did get a mooring right out in front on September 10!

For Gibney, you just pop through the Oppenheimer gate and walk down the driveway. You can park at Hawksnest and walk over.

Denis? Park at Peace Hill and walk down the steep, slippery & dangerous muddy trail with thorns and giant spider webs. Think Indiana Jones, but more mosquitoes. We don't send anyone there.

Jost depends on the dates. Foxy's Cat Fight registration is October 24. Before that, things will be quiet except for White Bay.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

You cannot park at Caneel when it's not open! I would do the short hike down to Honeymoon from the National Park Station.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting