Update on possible malware, funny behavior

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Update on possible malware, funny behavior

Post by Anthony »

So... there definitely seems to be some strange behavior when on the forum pages. I have been trying to dig into this - it is sort of a needle in a haystack type of thing with all the different operating systems, web browsers, etc.

Today I did find some suspicious files on my server - they have been deleted and they did not come back.

After also thinking about this and poking around, I realized that the Tapatalk forum software (mobile friendly version of the forum) also had ads turned on. This has been turned off.

The rest of the ads on the site are run by Google - and I just can't see a network as massive as theirs's serving pirated ads. They would know. The other small ads at the top of the page are all served locally from the page itself... and I don't see that code being hijacked either.

For now - I am hoping this clears things up. If you see anything funny please let me know. It is really difficult to pinpoint this stuff. I do urge you not to click on funny links or pop ups, etc. but if you can copy the URL and Google it you can see right away if it as coming from spyware or malware or something. Most pop ups are from browser extensions you don't even know you have installed. That is something you should check out - usually on most browsers it will be in your Preferences.

Hope this helps!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Re: Update on possible malware, funny behavior

Post by Anthony »

For those who had issues - have things cleared up at all?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi Anthony, I was seeing the weird stuff (popup spammy pages when navigating between forums) for a while on my work PC, but never at home on my Apple. It's been fine for a while now. Sorry that's not more specific, but whatever you did seems to have solved the issue, at least for me.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Thanks - any info helps! I have not heard any complaints since... so I am hoping what I found and the things I did actually had something to do with stopping this behavior.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi Anthony - I no longer have the issues of spam coming up when I navigate between forum pages. Thanks!