Restaurant review??

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Restaurant review??

Post by northerngal »

Where do I look for the current restaurant reviews?
ironman417

Re: Restaurant review??

Post by ironman417 »

Hello, try looking on tripadvisor.com/stjohn, then click on restaurants.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

ironman417 wrote:Hello, try looking on tripadvisor.com/stjohn, then click on restaurants.
OUCH!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
RickG

Post by RickG »

I find the travel review sites pretty bad, mostly populated with reviews from people who visit a place once. Yelp is a bit closer and at least gets the ranking closer, but most of the reviewers have expectations that are cracked.

My favorite approach is to search trip reports here for restaurants by name. If liamsaunt likes a place, it makes me want to go.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

RickG wrote:
My favorite approach is to search trip reports here for restaurants by name. If liamsaunt likes a place, it makes me want to go.

Cheers, RickG
I wholeheartedly second that recommendation plus she always provides great pictures of the dishes served
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

I hear you! I hate the other sites because I feel that they are not true reviews, but someone sitting in the back room of the restaurant writing them!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Hey everyone it warms my heart to hear stuff like this - but it just proves what you all know - this is one of the savviest group of travel pros anywhere :)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Anthony, maybe you've answered this question elsewhere but I don't see it: Is the restaurant review section of this site non-functional? The most recent reviews are from 2011. It seems to me that having the reviews in one place like that would be much more efficient than having to do a search of trip reports by restaurant name as Rick G suggests.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
ironman417

Post by ironman417 »

OUCH!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Yes - the dining reviews section was over loaded with spam (all the reviews were at some point). We built the new villa review section to combat the problem, but the move and new system never really took off, and I have yet to have the resources to resurrect the dining reviews. I know what Rick may have suggested sounds a bit tedious but it is a good idea. We are currently seriously weighing the options of what to do with the dining reviews and lots of other parts of the site.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Thanks Anthony. I cannot even fathom the toils and tribulations of running a site such as this and your efforts are truly appreciated.

I really like the concept of various tabs on here with reviews by island/interest (restaurant/villa/charters). It would make this site whole.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

I think that if you take Trip Advisor for what it is and keep an open mind, you get a pretty good idea about the quality of a restaurant. Ignore the one post complainers, look at other things a person has reviewed, and pay attention to what they say they like or dislike. I look at TA, go to the restaurants' menus, and see if I can find other information about ones I think might be worth my dollars. If you have some particular restaurants in mind, you should ask about them here - you will get some honest opinions. But, remember that things someone else might like might not be your cup of tea so ask more questions. For example, I am a vegetarian, so restaurants might get great reviews about their meat and seafood but I need to know what type of options they might have for me.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

I thought this NY Times article about review sites might be of interest to some:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/trave ... .html?_r=0