Time for a new travel cooler

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

Re: Time for a new travel cooler

Post by mahojim »

Barb-
I'm totally in when it comes time to purchase in December!
Keep me in mind!
Smiles-
MJ
scoob

Post by scoob »

I vote for the Polar bear cooler,
perfect for the ice bucket, vodka, bloody mary mix and random beers for the beach.
No glass of course ! We had a bottle of olives one day and I felt so guilty.
But I am a grown man and the glass never left the cooler..!!
Pixie Girl(daughter) is in Dominican Republic for honeymoon now..
so glad for her...

Scoob
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Thanks for all of the opinions & advice, guys.
My ticker is L-O-N-G-C-O-M-E, and I'm glad I asked.
KidLiggy- funny you would bring that up; We've used soft-sided coolers to bring down our food-stuffs in the past as a check-in bag at the airport, then use it for our return check-in with whatever souvenirs we got throughout the trip.
I'd like to reiterate- I love going to and being on STJ. Even going food shopping, which happens pretty much daily for things like rum, beer, ice, and some produce, is a subdued exciting adventure. However, I'd rather spend a little less time at the market. I want beach, villa, bar, or browsing time. Bringing a few supplies helps out that entire scenario. We push the envelope in every way dining out as we eat and drink ourselves across the island and back. We pretty much become gluttons in a way that is almost concerning. But, that's what we're there for.
I'm truly acheing for it... it's all so delicious in every way!
Scoob- we gotta hang out, man.
Again,- thanks for the help,
and always,
Smiles-
MJ
kklay

Post by kklay »

Mahojim, Our group has tried several different coolers but for the past 3+ years we have changed to the Polar Bear Cooler. We have 4 different sizes. We were also fortunate enough to get their black MEDICAL cooler (I believe it was for transporting human organs), however I don't see that one available on their website anymore. It is pretty large. We are cooler people and the MEDICAL cooler came with a retractable handle and small wheels on the bottom. We usually bring steaks, bacon, lunch meats, cheeses, spaghetti sauce, etc. (our group is normally anywhere from 8-12 people). We also purchased some inflatable wheels from WHEELEEZ, and my husband modified the cooler to add a rod with two wheels that could be "DETACHED" for our flights. We then use the cooler for beach beverages - pulls very easy with the WHEELEEZ tires. I'll have to get a picture of it, anyway, we are very happy with the Polar Bear Coolers - and believe me, we've tried about all of them (you should see my garage!) :lol:
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

kkay-
Sounds genius!!! You have got to send me a picture!
Smiles-
MJ
kklay

Post by kklay »

MJ,

I'll try to get a picture in the next couple of days and attempt to post one. With only 6 weeks away from our trip it is time to start the pre-packing process and get the suitcases/ cooler out of storage and "dusted "off!
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

We also use the Polar Bear cooler and we have the backpack...We bring down our frozen meat etc and while on island we use it for the beach. It holds tons of stuff. Then I bring the T-shirts home in it! They are GREAT!!

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Saturday morning, my husband loaded a case of cold beer and two bags of ice into our largest PB cooler.

The loose ice turned into roughly 50% ice/50% water by this morning. (no, I wasn't going for a beer at 9am, I was just curious!) The other bag, still in the bag, hasn't thawed at all, it looks like it did straight out of the gas station freezer. 48 hours in a 70 degree house.

I don't have room for the beer in my fridge so it will be in the cooler for a while, I'll post tomorrow's ice status.