Time for a new travel cooler

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

Time for a new travel cooler

Post by mahojim »

Well, we still have a while to go before our trip, but are thinking about getting a new softsided cooler for it.
Took a look on Amazon and there are loads to choose from. Thought I'd ask you all for your input. Like I said, we have too much time between then and now, so nothing pressing.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum...
Thanks, and always
Smiles-
MJ
RickG

Re: Time for a new travel cooler

Post by RickG »

We use a Polar Bear 24 most frequently. We have a Yeti on the boat.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Because we like our beverages (and because my husband carries it) we like the 48 can size of the Polar Bear. We are a family of three and find that the 24 can is too small. Our close friends prefer the 24 can size for the two of them.
KidLiggy

Post by KidLiggy »

We love polar bear coolers. I used a 24-can as my carry-on last trip, loaded with clothes while traveling, cooler while on island. Built to last. They occasionally have 2 for 1 promos which is a great deal.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Yeah, that's the one I was eyeballing, Rick.
Thanks guys.
Smiles-
MJ
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Hey Jim! How long do ya have until you need to buy? Polar Bear coolers often sends out discounts and I am sure with holidays coming up they will put out a new offer. I would be happy to share when one comes out.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

That would be great, Barb, thanks!
If you look at our ticker, we'll be down just a couple weeks after your trip.
Keep me in mind, and thanks again.
Smiles-
MJ
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

IMHO, there is no better cooler than the Polar Bear cooler. I learned about it from this forum a couple of years ago when I was planning our first visit to St. John. I put the cooler in my freezer, full of frozen meat. Took it out the morning we left, and brought it as carry-on. This was on Sat. a.m. On Wed., I STILL had meat in the cooler that was partially frozen! Then, on Thurs., we got a rental car after the Reef Bay Hike, and reprovisioned. I re-purposed the cooler for "beverages" for the rest of the next 10 days. It did an awesome job c=keeping things cold, esp. at the beach, even in the sun. Polar Bear does a 2 for 1 sale usually in Dec. Go to their website and sign up. I've had many coolers over the years, and none performed better. I also used the frozen packets, which really made a big difference. Buy it, you won;t regret it!
Tom in CT
Sumerwaters

Post by Sumerwaters »

We prefer softcoolers.com.
BostontoSTJ

Post by BostontoSTJ »

Major splurge item for this trip was the new YETI Hopper. They're products are pricey but they are built to last. I'm going to try to bring it as a carry on, but its rather large so I'm slightly stressing about that.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Holy Moly! Just looked that one up! It better be awesome for that price. Let us know!!!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

WHOA. :shock:
That there Yeti looks righteous. There's NO WAY that I could justify spending that kind of cash on a cooler to My Sweet Amy. I think she'd give me a wedgie, then lock me out of the house...
I read some of the Polar Bear cooler reviews, and there were complaints that when following the directions,- filling it with hot water to expand it into shape before use, there was leakage. Anybody have that happen? If it's defective, then I'd just return it, but just curious.
Smiles-
MJ
Dome526

MJ- Time for a new travel cooler

Post by Dome526 »

MJ,
I bought 2 Polar Bear 24 pack coolers. Following instructions on both, and it worked perfectly. Had no issues at all. I've had maybe 50 coolers in my life...(beer and rugby) and just wish I bought these many years ago. By far, the BEST coolers I ever bought, and good value with the 2 for 1 sale in Dec. Buy it, you won't regret it.
Tom
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I have used my polar bear cooler on multiple trips along with Techni-ice and have had no issues with leaking. 13 hours and food was still frozen! Love it!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I have purchased 9 polar bears over the years and only needed to do the hot water thing on one of them. The rest were fine right out of the box. (Why 9? a mouse chewed threw one, another gave up the ghost after 10 years of travel and then I have one in every other size/style)

Our get used hard. We use the 48 can one weekly as well as on vacations and as a back up fridge/freezer at our cabin. We routinely dump ice into them and never had a problem with any of them leaking.

The exception was the backpack cooler. That sprung a leak pretty much within the first week of use (a PR and STJ vacation) and I am 99% certain that was because we put the bottle caps and possibly an unsheathed corkscrew it in.

ETA - the exterior of those are water resistant but not water proof. If you let them sit in standing water or outside in the rain, the covers will soak up water.
Last edited by PA Girl on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.