Talk me off the "bad weather" ledge!

Travel discussion for St. John
SamanthaL

Talk me off the "bad weather" ledge!

Post by SamanthaL »

I know the drill after many visits, it's probably going to rain somewhere on the island everyday so it's normal for rain to be in the forecast every day.

BUT the weather forecast for our week is looking pretty bad. Yea, I know, it's still 9 days away. Our trip is Oct 17-24.

See all the pretty pictures of the sun next week? See all the clouds and rain and no sun the next week? :(
http://www.accuweather.com/en/vi/st-joh ... her/237_pc
kklay

Re: Talk me off the "bad weather" ledge!

Post by kklay »

Way too early to even be looking at that forecast! Check out Wunderground to see if anything is brewing that would bring more rain than usual. I can't tell you how many times even 5 days out the STJ forecast showed alot of clouds/shower activity and we ended up with great weather. You are on vacation, just relax and enjoy! 8)
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I never understood the bad weather ledge.

You have likely paid 1000's of dollars that you can not get back no matter what the weather is (hurricanes aside), I have never known a single forecaster that can accurately predict the weather correctly 5 days out let alone 9, and tropical weather patterns are different than most anywhere in the US.

The bottom line is that you can not change it. You can obsess over it and let it ruin your pre-vacation anticipation or you can stop looking at the weather and start packing.
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

Xislandgirl wrote:I never understood the bad weather ledge.

You have likely paid 1000's of dollars that you can not get back no matter what the weather is (hurricanes aside), I have never known a single forecaster that can accurately predict the weather correctly 5 days out let alone 9, and tropical weather patterns are different than most anywhere in the US.

The bottom line is that you can not change it. You can obsess over it and let it ruin your pre-vacation anticipation or you can stop looking at the weather and start packing.
I know, I know! You are 100% right.
BUT, I just can't help it.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

As my dear ole dad would say, "You can only get wet as far as the skin."

You have no control of the weather - so just enjoy what is thrown your way.

1. If it's sunny - outdoor activity (Beach, water, sun)

2. If it's raining - indoor activity (Arm curls at the beach bar or any other place)

3. If it's cloudy - combination of #1 & #2.

Just have a good time.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

Some of my worst sunburns were on 60% chance of rain days.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I pay for weather service for sailing, and unless you're planning day trips to the Bahamas or Costa Rica you're fine. There are no big tropical storms on the way. That means only localized rain, if you see any at all.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

Rick, thanks a million.
Sumerwaters

Post by Sumerwaters »

We love to snorkel in the rain...still warm..and you will have it all to yourself
dctac

Post by dctac »

Looks like pretty good forecast to me.....you'll be fine. Ricks got it right......
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

The Sahara dust broke Tuesday night, with spectacular clarity yesterday. No plumes on the way, so dust season may be over for this year. A look at the macro Atlantic satellite image loop:
http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/ ... e_anim.gif
shows the usual October "stuff headed north of the VI" trend, with no weather to speak of near the VI.

Things could change a bit given that your trip is still over a week out, but you should have great weather. Bump the thread and let us know when you do.

All the best,

Kevin
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I wish I was worrying about the St John weather next week instead of raking leaves and winterizing the boats for the winter...

Enjoy your trip!
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

I will be there the same time. Most predictions call for small amounts most days. so go go go full steam ahead!! 8)
High in the rockies?
RickG

Post by RickG »

Some early warning on tropical storm impact, Invest 99L is headed towards Bermuda and may drive some rain and winds in the VI Monday 10/13 and Tuesday 10/14. This may what is driving wunderground to call for 1.4 inches of rain on Monday. Who knows, the models are all over the place.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

RickG wrote:Some early warning on tropical storm impact, Invest 99L is headed towards Bermuda and may drive some rain and winds in the VI Monday 10/13 and Tuesday 10/14. This may what is driving wunderground to call for 1.4 inches of rain on Monday. Who knows, the models are all over the place.

Cheers, RickG
Rick what's your opinion on the 2 possible storms?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

If they did form how long would they take to get to the USVI?