Reef Bay Hike questions?

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

Re: Reef Bay Hike questions?

Post by RickG »

Reef Bay, either route, is to intense for someone under 8. I'd do the flat Waterlemon/Leinster walk or the walk to Europa Bay. If you really want to get your boys fired up, take the walk from the parking lot at Haulover South to the beach at Haulover North. You can fill up a beach bucket with hermit crabs through there. Its national park there now, so strictly catch and release on site. Yeah, fun for parents too.

For hermit crab races, draw a 5' circle and each person picks their crab and places it in the center. First crab to cross the line wins.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I think it can be great for kids but it depends on the kid.

Mine was 7yo when we took him and it was great, no issues at all. I would have taken him as young as 6yo. He still talks about the spider webs, the ranger talking the animals and the boat ride back.

The ranger stopped enough for discussoins that the physically, he had no trouble keeping up. (did better than mom)

But, I would caution that it was insanely hot the day we went, which was in late January. Heat could definitely be a physical (heat stroke danger) or emotional (whining) issue.

Also, my son is the type that sticks with us, by natural he is just not a wanderer. If he was the type to charge off on his own (especially by the petroglyphs) it would have been a stressful experience.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

I think I'd wait for them to get a little older..there are so many other places to hike where you can just turn back if things get tedious. I'm looking forward to taking my grnddaughter (8yrs)...Keep it fun!!