Reef Bay Hike questions?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Reef Bay Hike questions?

Post by northerngal »

we are thinking of signing up for the NP reef bay hike but have some questions.
Are you able to jump in when you get to the water? If so, do you wear your suit down? Do you have time to snorkel at all? Also, lunch, what do you bring? Since you have to be there early, is there a place to grab sandwiches that early? Especially since .....did I hear right....that Baked in the Sun closed?
HELP!
david@va.beach

Re: Reef Bay Hike questions?

Post by david@va.beach »

you'll enjoy the hike, the park staf are well informed and there is time to swim befor you go back you can wear something over your bathing suite or change in the bushes. mongoose junction (del grotto sp. et al.) has places to buy food..have a great hike!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

You will have time to swim, how much depends on your pace. We did the hike twice.

Both times, the ranger told the group, upon arriving at the ruins, the time schedule for the boat. Some people skipped the ruins and went straight to the beach. We did the Ruins and still had time to swim a bit.

I wore a tankini top and swim shorts with a tshirt. I was hot during our February hike but I tend to run hot. Hubby and son wore Patagonia type of wet shorts and tees and just toom their ts off to swim. I took one towel that fit under the bungle straps of my pack.

The are no changing rooms at the beach. Last time, there was a group of people that changed into their suits at the edge of the trees.

We ordered sandwiches ahead of time, once at deli grotto and once at Sam and jacks. Take lots of water.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

At some point near the end of the hike, those in the group who want to go to the petroglyphs breaks off and those who want to skip it can head down to the ruins and the beach. We chose to go to the beach, and had a nice long break with plenty of time to swim. The water was rough on our hike day, so snorkeling wouldn't have been possible. We brought sandwiches from Sam and Jack's, that we bought the day before. They don't open early enough to get them before the hike, as I recall. Deli Grotto is closed, but is supposed to be reopening under new management soon.
I think your options are picking up lunch the day before your hike, or making it yourself that morning.
By the way, when we showed up for the hike, we had to sign a waiver and it seems there were signs as well, warning people that the hike requires considerable exertion and suggesting you opt out without penalty if you think you can't make it. I'm not in shape, but didn't consider the hike difficult at all. Those signs almost persuaded us to just skip it, and I'm glad we didn't.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

The Reef Bay hike is not difficult going down. Climbing back up is hard. That is why the park books the boat back to Cruz Bay.
Do NOT skip the petroglyphs in order to spend more time in the water. Lots of other beaches on St. John, but only one amazing petroglyph location.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

We have never done the hike either, how long does it take to go down?? At 62 I am not really old, but not in the best shape either!!!! Definitely need the boat back!! :D
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

We hiked a little bit ahead of the group. That way, we had the petroglyphs to ourselves for a few minutes while the group caught up, as well as the benefit of the information from the guide once everyone else got there. Then, we got ahead of the group again and had the ruins and then the beach to ourselves for a while.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

the hike is easy down...I agree, have lunch at the petraglifs..
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

The trick is when you get down to the ruins the trail to the beach that you depart from is to your right. The beach has little sand and you have to choose your entrance to the water. What a group of us did was swim over to the boat instead of taking the dinghy. As the beach is south facing it is exposed, and I was glad I did not bring my snorkel gear to use. Also, the beach is very buggy
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

OK, so my questions are.....are Tevas good enough for the hike or do we really need a hiking boot?
Also, can we wear our swimsuit with just a cover up or would that not work?
Also, where can we grab sandwiches that early in the morning for lunch?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Tevas are probably ok, unless you trip and get something jammed in you toe and take of about 50% of the skin layers, rendering you unable to walk normally for the remainder of your vacation. Ask me how I know.......

My husband and son wore closed toes Keens. I would suggest at least closed toed water-type shoes or sneakers.
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

I don't think Tevas would be protective enough. My sister managed to kick a large rock into her ankle, but she was wearing hiking boots. It's sometimes a steep downhill grade, and having a closed toe shoe helped me. I wore my swimsuit with shorts and a tank top, and I'm glad I did. The guys did this hike alone on my last trip, and if I heard the word "chafe" one more time..... :lol:
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

I have the closed toe Tevas with all the webbing. I hate to bring another pair of shoes just for this. They are more of an open shoe than a sandal.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

Is the hike appropriate for kids? Our boys will be 4.5 and 7.5 and I've been waiting to go on the hike with them.