Early October or Thanksgiving?

Travel discussion for St. John
SusieQT

Early October or Thanksgiving?

Post by SusieQT »

We are planning (at least I am!) our next trip. We've been 4 times, July, March & New Years. We must travel during school breaks.

Our choices for our next trip are October 3-10 2015 or Thanksgiving week 2015.

2 adults, 2 kids, they will be 12 & 14.

We mostly love to snorkel & fish, eat in & out, mostly eat in or at the beach. Would probably try a trip to BVI, have never done that.

I'm intrigued to travel during a super slow time (not concerned about hurricanes & will have trip insurance) but wonder if it will be too slow. We love La Tapa & would miss eating there. That's our only MUST DO restaurant. Assuming flights will be less in October than a holiday week, it appears that most villas don't up charge for Thanksgiving.

Seriously considering Samuels Cottages #3, any input? We've always done villas with a pool but we rarely use it! & it would get us to STJ sooner & more often.

Other suggestions?
kklay

Re: Early October or Thanksgiving?

Post by kklay »

We have traveled in mid/late October, early November and for the past few years have incorporated the Thanksgiving Holiday for our travel plans because we get what I call two FREE days (Thanksgiving and the Friday after) that allows us to spend 12 or so days on island using only about 6 total days of vacation. I found the October time (except Halloween) to be slower than the Thanksgiving time in November (which really seems to have taken off as far as getting busy on the island). We will be on island again this Thanksgiving and can give you an update. I believe most if not all the restaurants are open by that time. As far as the cost of flights, sometimes we get great fares, sometimes just so-so, however we are particular about our arrival times to STT and also our departure times. So although there might be less expensive flights, we are not willing to land in STT at 9PM at night (unless of course that is the only flight available!) Good luck with your search.