Car barge question...

Travel discussion for St. John
lorijo068

Car barge question...

Post by lorijo068 »

We are coming down in a month and we are getting our jeep on St Thomas (first time for us)...When we get to Red Hook do we go in and get our car barge ticket and more importantly can we take an island beverage on the barge with us?
poidog

Re: Car barge question...

Post by poidog »

No, you will first pay the nice lady at the port office (you will drive right up to the window) your port fee to enter the loading area ($4 for jeeps). You'll then back up into the lanes and wait for the barge. Once it arrives you'll back on and pay the person on the barge when the make it to your car ($30 one way, $50 round trip). Yes you can take anything and everything onto the barge in your vehicle!
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
lorijo068

Post by lorijo068 »

GREAT! Thanks for the info!! Since this is our first time the first hurdle will be driving from the airport to the ferry - by then I will probably need a drink! That is the only part I am nervous about...BUT we will make it I'm sure!
kklay

Post by kklay »

There is a little bar in the YELLOW building beside where you will be parked awaiting the car barge. Usually they are open and you can go get a frosty, cold beverage if you desire.
vav

Post by vav »

Just a little info, I came home yesterday Nov 1st. There were 2 Barges running.
Sawed that board three times and it is still too short...