Chikungunya (Chik V)

Travel discussion for St. John
sharobarow

Chikungunya (Chik V)

Post by sharobarow »

Does anyone have a sense for current prevalence of Chikungunya on St. John? Get the sense that Department of Health's reported numbers are way low because most people that get it don't report it - i.e. locals know what it is and don't bother going to the doctor, and tourists don't know they have it until they get back home. My wife gets no less than a dozen bites a day on St. J regardless of repellent so we know there is some risk, but is it like 1 out of 100 daytime biting mosquitoes are transmitting or 1 out of 10? There are some indications that rate of spread peaked among locals two months ago, but also know that mosquitoes prefer 'fresh meat' on the island too. Any thoughts appreciated.
hugo

Re: Chikungunya (Chik V)

Post by hugo »

You are correct that most cases are not being reported.There are still a fair number of new cases popping up, with anything from a couple of days of fever and mild joint pain to weeks of extreme fatigue and pain. Women over 50, and others with pre-existing arthritic conditions, are apparently the most often severely affected.
There don't seem to be very many of the Aedes mosquitoes around, in an unofficial survey I have not seen any this week, while swatting at least 20 smaller un-striped individuals. Wear Deet.
sharobarow

Post by sharobarow »

Thanks Hugo. I definitely feel like there's a bit of "first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club" when people involved with tourism industry are asked about Chik-V. I guess it serves self-interest to stay mum, but the issue might get more attention and focus if it were brought out in the open. Anyway, it will probably get plenty of publicity when it becomes more pervasive in the Continental US next year...
RickG

Post by RickG »

Hugo is closer to this than we are, but we know of a half dozen residents who have had the Chikungunya/Dengue symptoms and have many on-island casual acquaintances (especially in our marina on STT) that have had the symptoms. None of the visitors we know have come down with the symptoms. Since we left on November 2 two more resident friends, one on STJ and one on Tortola, have experienced the symptoms. I don't know the visitor/resident factor makes a difference. But, it hasn't stopped us from visiting we have not had any symptoms, other than chills on returning home to cold weather. Any there any forum peeps who not residents who have been diagnosed?

As far as fight club rules, I haven't heard any reticence in talk about Chikungunya in the USVI or BVI.

While there are tests for Chikungunya/Dengue, I ordered the tests for my daughter when she had some symptoms, I had to push pretty hard to have them done. Push, as in tell the lab the Quest diagnostics test codes to order. She did not test positive and her symptoms abated. Treatment, as far as I've heard, seems to be limited to "Take acetaminophen/ibuprofen/naproxen and go back to work when you feel better."

On the bulletin board at Independent Marina on STT:

If you have gotten Chikungunya
Please call Dr. Esther Ellis 773-1311 x3241
Leave your phone # and she will call you back.
Department of Health

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

I believe residents are reluctant to pay for the testing when there is no treatment available anyway :?
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Here's an article from the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/trave ... ravel&_r=0
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

My husband and I just got back from our 10/24 - 11/1 trip and so far so good. I would use bug spray everyday - spray first thing in the morning before heading out for the day. Also I would use the bug spray again mid day and then again after taking a shower and heading back in to town in the evening. I did get a few bites but mostly no-see-ums.

Just be "religious" and use bug repellant with deet and you will be fine (especially during the day when these type of mosquitos are active). If you don't like using spray, the Off wipes work really well too.