Trip report 17 - 24 October (finally)

Travel discussion for St. John
stingrat

Trip report 17 - 24 October (finally)

Post by stingrat »

This is my trip report for 17-24 October 2014. There are no pictures because I cannot figure out how to do it. Also to Lprof, I was unable to do the happy dance because the area was roped off for grass seeding.

My wife and I arrived at St Thomas in the early afternoon. after catching the 3 pm ferry we were met by a Gallows Point driver and brought to the resort. I wanted building 10 and we were assigned unit 10C. It was perfect. The room has a bedroom upstairs and living and kitchen downstairs. The balcony was a great place to have coffee and light breakfast in the morning. We went into town to look for a swimsuit for my wife (yes forgot the only required item). We found shorts and a halter top for a reasonable price and were set. We ate dinner at High Tide. The conch fritters were very good i thought and the burger for me and seafood diavlo for my wife were just good. walked back to gallows and called it a day.

Day 2 began with breakfast at Cruz bay landing. We both had the breakfast skillet which was very good. We rented a jeep from Cool Breeze and headed out of town for the first time ever. We did not dress for swimming but took the north shore road and stopped at Hawksnest, drove by trunk and stopped at cinnamon bay beach for photo ops. Figured we would go on to Maho and Francis but couldn't seem to find Maho(later realized its at the right side of Cinnamon. Silly me). We drove to Francis beach and thought it would be on our list to spend a day at. Driving on and in a few places straight up, we reached centerline road. Headed into coral bay and somehow ended up on 107. Drove a ways and figured I was going the wrong way to see the Tourist Trap (yeah I forgot everything I researched) turned around and found Skinny Legs. Bleu cheese burger how I love thee. My wife had a salad and was impressed enough to eat it all. (she is very picky about salad.) We then drove all the way to the end of 10 and headed back to Cruz bay. We bought groceries and went home for steak dinner with Valley Doll Curry sauce(good stuff).

Day 3 Beach day. Woke up had breakfast at the unit and headed out for Cinnamon beach. After a few photos we settled in and instantly fell in love with the beach. My wife is not a good swimmer so it was great that there is no current. I used to swim competitively so she made me her life guard. In the process of swimming and photo ops my wife lost her sunglasses in the water. Found them in chest deep water just laying there. We did not snorkel this trip but next time definitely yes for me. Packed up the jeep and headed over to Francis which was packed. So we went back to Cruz bay and tried to drive the south shore road. I Forgot how to get to the Southshore beaches off the road so just took an uphill drive. I actually had fun on the hills so it wasn't a problem. We ended up back in town and did a little shopping before dinner at the room.

Day 4 we headed out to Francis this morning but there was so much flying insect activity that we went back to Cinnamon/Maho beach. The water was beautiful once again and we had a very nice time. FOr lunch we headed to Skinny Legs once again which was very good. I was determined to find the Tourist Trap and headed down 107 in a determined search. Found it! But since it was Monday we will have to come back tomorrow. Spent the rest of the day shopping and had all the required items for those left behind.

Day 5 went to breakfast at Cruz bay landing once again. Drove the north shore road stopped at Jumbie ad took photos. It started to rain so no swimming for us. drove over to the tourist trap for lunch and the rain was not falling here. Food was good and the entertainment was spectacular (banana quits and sugar). Drove further down 107 and it ended (lol). Actually turned into gravel. Not feeling adventuress we turned around and headed back to Cruz bay. We decided to just relax the rest of the day at Gallows Point.

Day 6 Time to return the Jeep so went to cool breeze and dropped it off. Spent the rest of the day shopping and lazing around the room.

Day 7 Last full day on island (sniff). We had lunch at the Banana Deck and do to a failure at math on my part the waiter got a very good tip! Walked back to the resort and lazed around. Thus our trip was ended.

Day 8 My flights were changed so what was a half day of travel turned into a full day of travel. Arrived home and the dogs were very pleased/relieved at our return.

In summary I loved the trip. St. John lived up to my high expectations and despite the bug bites my wife endured she loved it also. Will I go back? When can we leave, I'm there. I have been to a few commercial resorts and enjoy the laid back atmosphere of St John. If you never leave and explore go commercial. If you want an experience, St John is it.
:D
High in the rockies?
onthelake

Re: Trip report 17 - 24 October (finally)

Post by onthelake »

Thanks for the report. Glad you had fun!
[/url]
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

I really enjoyed this report!! Glad you had a fun time ... just a few corrections. I believe the Beach you keep calling Francis is actually Maho. Francis is past Maho down a rutted dirt road. On the other hand, Maho is right off the paved road and as you discovered is VERY popular with the locals on Sunday. Hope you come again and risk exploring this island ... sometimes the best fun is had while being lost!!
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

My husband and I were there the same dates!
We loved The Tourist Trap and the birds and the view. I took a short video of the birds and the view, so happy I did, I have watched it about 20 times since we have been home.
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

correction. the beach I called Cinnamon was Maho. :oops: :lol: :roll:
High in the rockies?