Why do I do this to myself...

Travel discussion for St. John
PaminMaine

Why do I do this to myself...

Post by PaminMaine »

Every year I play the "can I make that flight game " in my head when trying to book airfare..Those Sunday flights at 8:20 a.m. just look so darn good! :shock:
I read the new ferry was running today and the trip was 10 minutes? That might buy some extra time on the 6:00 am ferry!! LOL Or, I could hire Rachel and get a porter.
Decisions, decisions....
RickG

Re: Why do I do this to myself...

Post by RickG »

I won't do that, too much work. We stay on St. Thomas if we have an early flight and get to the airport two hours early. St. Thomas is a very fine place to spend a night (or more).

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

RickG wrote:I won't do that, too much work. We stay on St. Thomas if we have an early flight and get to the airport two hours early. St. Thomas is a very fine place to spend a night (or more).

Cheers, RickG
Agreed...

We usually do day 1 and the last day at Emerald Beach on STT...followed by 7-8 days on Island(s). WAY less stress...less bumps in the road...have been on the beach by 2:30 after traveling since 4am with a dark and Diet in tow. On the last day, we can sleep in and stay at the hotel, have lunch and get to the airport and porter refreshed, relaxed and not ready to go home. Never have done the early morning flights till this next trip...STT will be a no brainer for our crew the night before.

Enjoy the Journey
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi Pam,

Your post made me smile. We have been through a similar decision process when it comes to connecting flights. We go through wishful thinking and analyzing and such. However, we always go with flights that give us a comfortable "margin of error", so we aren't overly stressed and rushed. While this doesn't guarantee smooth travel days, I think it raises the probability. We always get to STT airport 2 hours ahead, even if it means we spend "quality time" waiting for our flight. We've looked at the Emerald Beach because people on this forum and other forums have recommended it. You may want to consider it as others have mentioned.

Happy trip planning!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

We always shoot for a noon or 1pm flight home so we can have breakfast at Glady's. Love that place and the nice lady who has worked there for ever.
kmf4107

Post by kmf4107 »

We have also chosen to stay the 1st and last night on St Thomas, we find it to be so much less stressful both arriving and leaving, checking out of the villa and catching that ferry is a lot less depressing, and allows us extra time on STJ the day we leave, when not heading straight to the airport. That first night in STT also gives us a buffer if we encounter delays due to bad weather out of JFK which has happened only twice in the last 18 years, arriving in STT we are at the hotel 10 min later and not worrying about catching a ferry to STJ, usually catch the 10 am downtown the next am and have picked up car/had lunch and provisioned and are in the villa by 2 or earlier if it is avail. We stay right next to the airport at Carib beach ( literally a 5 min walk), great for a one night stay and really convenient with privileges just down the beach at their sister property Emerald Beach. One could argue that you lose 2 days which could have been spent in STJ but the lack of stress involved on the travel days outweighs that, at least for me. We stay on STJ for 2 weeks with the added days on either end so not that bad. 52 more days!!

Kevin F
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

kmf4107 wrote:We have also chosen to stay the 1st and last night on St Thomas, we find it to be so much less stressful both arriving and leaving, checking out of the villa and catching that ferry is a lot less depressing, and allows us extra time on STJ the day we leave, when not heading straight to the airport. That first night in STT also gives us a buffer if we encounter delays due to bad weather out of JFK which has happened only twice in the last 18 years, arriving in STT we are at the hotel 10 min later and not worrying about catching a ferry to STJ, usually catch the 10 am downtown the next am and have picked up car/had lunch and provisioned and are in the villa by 2 or earlier if it is avail. We stay right next to the airport at Carib beach ( literally a 5 min walk), great for a one night stay and really convenient with privileges just down the beach at their sister property Emerald Beach. One could argue that you lose 2 days which could have been spent in STJ but the lack of stress involved on the travel days outweighs that, at least for me. We stay on STJ for 2 weeks with the added days on either end so not that bad. 52 more days!!

Kevin F
+10