East End Article

Travel discussion for St. John
TraumaQueen

East End Article

Post by TraumaQueen »

http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/lo ... s-east-end

Has anyone here seen this already? I'm just curious as I am returning in June with my son and was checking on crime last night and came across this. I didn't want to put it in the title and scare folks, but I would like to know a little bit about it so I can take precautions if necessary. It will not stop my trip as I live in a suburb of one of the highest per capita murder rates in the country and work in the middle of it.

I also wanted to post so others who frequent STJ and who may know the man are made aware.
nanbo

Re: East End Article

Post by nanbo »

A 55 year old Tennessee businessman rented a home in Privateer Bay and was murdered. It appears that the home he was renting was burglarized. For further details ,please look at Facebook "JusticeforJimmy" . It is important to lock your villa and the villa windows or to choose a villa with a well designed and equipped security system.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

It's so horrible :(
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I read about this earlier, and also the comment at the bottom of the article predicting that the police will do nothing to solve the murder.

At the risk of alienating the entire forum, I can't help but to think that if the man had a firearm he'd be alive today. I suppose most of us don't think about bringing a gun on a Caribbean vacation. I don't even know if one would be permitted to. But I do think if I lived in one of those remote areas I would absolutely have one, along with a security system. I wonder if the new governor will be able to do anything about the police departments.
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Agent99 wrote:I read about this earlier, and also the comment at the bottom of the article predicting that the police will do nothing to solve the murder.

At the risk of alienating the entire forum, I can't help but to think that if the man had a firearm he'd be alive today. I suppose most of us don't think about bringing a gun on a Caribbean vacation. I don't even know if one would be permitted to. But I do think if I lived in one of those remote areas I would absolutely have one, along with a security system. I wonder if the new governor will be able to do anything about the police departments.
I live in MS where any one of us is carrying a gun at any given time so I agree with you, BUT people have to be trained on how and when to shoot or the consequences are devastating. When our "gunslinger" bill was passed people were predicting bodies in the street old west style. Very few people in my area (Jackson Metro. Look up our crime stats.) have used the "Castle Doctrine" and most of those were found to be justified. The others were punished as if they committed murder/aggravated assault as the reason they gave for shooting was not justified under the current law.

I have often wondered if my enhanced/concealed weapon permit would be transferable to the islands and if I had to use it what would I be facing. Interesting topic so I hope it doesn't turn into a pro/anti gun fest. Chances are I wouldn't travel with my weapon since it is a lot of paperwork and worry, but I don't tend to vacation where I think one is needed.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Apparently the murdered man was involved in some controversial finances. He was being sued by an investment firm for defrauding them of $80 million while living a lavish lifestyle. I hope the police investigate all the possibilities but I won't hold my breath.
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

I seem to remember a sign right near Sloop's saying guns were prohibited in Privateer Bay. Hmmm...thinking about it now it may have had a camera on the sign too.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Joppa wrote:I seem to remember a sign right near Sloop's saying guns were prohibited in Privateer Bay. Hmmm...thinking about it now it may have had a camera on the sign too.
Gosh, if there is a camera I wonder if it would show the comings and goings of people the day of the murder.
sloopjones

Post by sloopjones »

no cameras and recording devices now. they are planned and will be up soon. one way in one way out by road.
do you believe what you see or see what you believe