Transportation from airport to Red Hook

Travel discussion for St. John
SpartyOn

Transportation from airport to Red Hook

Post by SpartyOn »

We our visiting St John for the second time in April. Getting to bring my son this time and we are super excited to explore the island with him. I am looking for transportation from the airport to Red Hook. Any suggestions? Rachel's name has come up a few times but I need her number. Thanks!
loria

Re: Transportation from airport to Red Hook

Post by loria »

you can get a regular van/taxi to go to red hook (unless you want a private driver?) just go to the dispatcher outside of baggage claim and ask him for red hook....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

I would get Rachel. If you get a taxi they don't always go straight to the ferry.
We had that problem once where we were staying one night on St Thomas and
the driver let us off last because he forgot us. We do use the taxi from the ferry
back to the airport.
Rachel- 340-771-2986
Beach Creecher
SpartyOn

Post by SpartyOn »

Thanks for Rachel's number. I forgot to mention I was looking for private:)
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I have used Christopher Taxi and they were great!
(340) 690-1581
http://www.christaxiandlimoservice.com/our_services.htm
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

We always take a taxi dispatched at the airport. We tell the dispatcher we need to make the ferry. If we are running late they make every attempt to get you to the ferry on time. If you were dropped off last at a hotel, it was because the ferry riders had a departure time to meet and you didn't. Sometimes they deliver folks to their hotel on the way to the ferry. It all depends on how much time there is to get to the ferry.

There is no need to pay big bucks for a private taxi.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

iheartsj: Twice I've been delayed on my way to the ferry when taking a regular taxi van from the airport and other passengers were dropped at STT hotels first. Once was really a pain: the couple staying on STT didn't have good directions to their B&B/small hotel and we drove around for about 45 minutes looking for it. When the driver suggested taking the rest of us (7 people) to the ferry first, the woman staying on STT had a fit. It wasn't until then that her husband finally gave the phone number of their B&B to the van driver so he could call for directions. So 7 of us were delayed over an hour so that 2 people could get to their B&B first.

That was the one time I was staying by myself for my first night on island and by the time I got my car and groceries and drove to Coral Bay I was searching for my house (where I'd never stayed before) in the the complete dark. Since then I've decided that a private taxi is worth the price!
RickG

Post by RickG »

We started renting our jeep from Amalie on St. Thomas and we won't go back to the taxi/ferry route. Its not about saving the taxi, ferry and baggage fees for us. We love starting our vacation two hours early and then having brunch on St. Thomas before our flight on the last day. Hitting a grocery on STT for a few lower cost provisions is a bonus.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

What does Rachel charge for a ride?
Bryan
kklay

Post by kklay »

We also rent from AmLie on St Thomas and I can tell you that friends of ours who used the taxi/ people ferry just this week that they were very surprised by what they paid one way for a taxi from the airport to Redhook. $15 per person and $3 for each carry on bag for a total of $36 one way and that did not include the ferry. These are experienced St John travelers and they said they will always rent from St Thomas from now on.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

If you get charged $15 plus $3 for a bag for a taxi you were overcharged. Look at the sign at the airport and at Red Hook Ferry terminal. The official (legal) charge is: One person 15. Two or more persons $11 each. Bags are $2 for a small bag, $4 for a large bag.

If the taxi driver tries to overcharge us (which they do regularly) I pay them the legal fee and no tip. If I get charged the correct amount, I add a tip. I have invited drivers to walk over to the sign with me to check the correct fees.

I have to admit St. Thomas has the rudest taxi drivers I have experienced anywhere in my travels.

Another tip, you can also hire a private water taxi to go from Red Hook to Cruz Bay. Then you don't have to worry about the ferry schedule.

If you get overcharged, get the taxi number and report it to the Taxi Commission.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

If you are overcharged report it to

taxiinspector@yahoo.com
toni

Post by toni »

iheartsj wrote: I have to admit St. Thomas has the rudest taxi drivers I have experienced anywhere in my travels.
I often find this to be true and that the overcharging is a problem. On top of that, the taxi drivers rarely EVER say anything to you even if you try to initiate a conversation. We've been coming to the islands for a number of years. I am amazed that they are not better ambassadors to their home. When we took a taxi on Tortola two weeks ago to get from Road Town to West End, the gentleman pointed things out to us, talked about past hurricanes, talked about where we lived, was just a wonderful representative of the BVI's. The number of times we have taken taxis on STT (including this past trip) where not one word is spoken is crazy. Here you have a group of people who possibly have never been to your island before and you can't even point out anything? Or explain why you're stopping at several locations along the way. Can you tell it's been a pet peeve of mine how the taxi's are? :?

And the overcharging is an issue. My husband has learned to know what the price should be and then when he gets out to pay, he doesn't ask, he just says....ok, it should be $$$ so here's that and your tip. which works perfectly! :D
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

The last trip that we used the public taxi we had a nice gentleman that talked and gave a history lesson the entire trip to Red Hook. He was very nice. Now, our return trip :shock: was another story !! It was a Sunday morning, and our driver was in a hurry, driving up fast to every car in front of us, and then slamming on the brakes and honking his horn. I kept looking at the cross hanging from the mirror and thinking, "maybe he's late for church?"

I will have to pay attention to the fee charged. I guess I am so excited to be getting there, that I just hand over what ever they say.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Here is Rachel's phone number. Super sweet lady. 1-340-771-2986. She does book up at times so if you know you want her to pick you up, go ahead and call and reserve. Our son came in on a late flight alone and it was very reassuring to us to know she would be there to take care of him and get him to the ferry. Everyone has their own opinions. Do what is best for you.. :)
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."