St. John 1st week in August? (hurricane)

Travel discussion for St. John
jbpadgett09

St. John 1st week in August? (hurricane)

Post by jbpadgett09 »

Hey everyone, my wife and I are planning our second trip to St. John. We went the last week of June last year and loved it, however, we may not get to go until the first week of August this year.

I'm worried about hurricane season and too much rain this time of year? Anyone else travel there in August?
liamsaunt

Re: St. John 1st week in August? (hurricane)

Post by liamsaunt »

I have done August a couple of times. Last year we lost one day to tropical storm Bertha. The weather was really great other than that one day. You never know what you are going to get weather-wise so I would not make that a dealbreaker as you plan. One June trip we were there for three weeks and it rained all but two days! Another time we were there in October and had gorgeous weather the entire time. In the immediate days after we left the island got around 24 inches of rain.

I'll be back this August as well. I was hoping for July, but that pesky thing called work went and got in the way.

I always recommend trip insurance.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jbpadgett09

Post by jbpadgett09 »

Thanks, we could try to swing the last week of June, but August would be much easier with out work schedule. I looked at the rain chart, and August seems to be a much higher chance of rain.
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

We typically go to St John in late June or early July. Last summer we couldn't make those dates work, so we went the second week of August. The weather was no different than any of our previous June/July visits from 2010 - 2013. While statistically there is a better chance of a tropical system, it doesn't seem too great a risk. September is when things really get cranking with storms coming off Africa, it seems.
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

I went to St John this summer for 12 days in late July - August. We did have one day of rain from TS Bertha. Other than that the weather was perfect. I normally go in April and the water was a few degrees warmer and calmer.