Advice on villa Sol Mate, pretty please

Travel discussion for St. John
Kim

Advice on villa Sol Mate, pretty please

Post by Kim »

Hello all! I am hoping for some advice in planning our 2015 summer trip. I'm looking for a 3 bedroom villa for my husband and I, our 15 month old daughter, and both of our parents. I came across Villa Sol Mate, located in Virgin Grande Estates. The place looks nice and the price seems very reasonable. However, I cannot find a single review of the villa and don't know a whole lot about Virgin Grande Estates. I've never booked a place in STJ without first reading plenty of positive reviews! My husband and I have stayed in Coral Bay several times and love it, although we do spend a fair amount of time driving back into Cruz Bay for shopping and dining. I am thinking that our parents might like being closer to Cruz Bay, but they say they are fine with whatever we choose (no pressure!). Thoughts? Anyone know of this place? Thanks so much!
lprof

Re: Advice on villa Sol Mate, pretty please

Post by lprof »

I believe this was previously known as Villa Ellison. I am guessing maybe new owners and/or renovations have resulted in the new name. I know some VIOL members have stayed there when Ellison.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... 1625162j16
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Kim

Post by Kim »

Thank you lprof! I knew someone on this forum would be able to give some good info :)
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

We stayed at Soul Mate when it was Ellison. Lots and lots of steps, so if you are not young and spry I would look elsewhere. You will get a lot of house for the money, but it will be blazing hot in the summer unless they have installed central air. I can think of some better alternatives that this villa for traveling with a 15 month old and parents. I am thinking there is no gate at the head of the stairs going down to the pool.
CHM

Post by CHM »

I am not familiar with this villa, but we have stayed in Virgin Grand the last three years and loved it! Infinity is our favorite but we also loved La Bella Vita and Blue Papaya. The views from VG are amazing, especially the sunsets.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Thank so much for the input Knolmom and CHM! That is good to know about the stairs, I had no idea...and worry how it would be with hauling a baby, stuff and for my mom's knees. Knolmom, would love to know of any good alternative 3 bed/3 bath that you know of that might be a better fit for our group. We had been accustomed to traveling with just myself and husband for several years now, these are all new things to consider. Many thanks :)
CHM

Post by CHM »

Even though you are looking for a 3 bedroom, Infinity might work for your group. Infinity Villa has 4 bedrooms, 4 baths and 2 half baths. The owner has special pricing several times a year. We absolutely love this villa. Two master suites upstairs on either side of the kitchen/living room, interior stairs to the lower bedrooms and pool. One king master and one twin room down. The sliders in the lower bedrooms have door alarms for children and the pool. The door alarms and interior stairs make it safer and more convenient for children. The outdoor stairs also have a safety gate at the top, so your little one can be on the upper porch without being able to fall down the steps or get to the pool. As far as steps, there are about 3-4 steps from the driveway into the villa. But to get to the pool or lower bedrooms, you mush walk down one flight of steps.

Another villa on my list to try is Allesandra. It is a 3/3.5 and gets great reviews. I have also looked at Hummingbird Hill. It is a 3/3 with a gate around the pool. Good luck with your villa search!
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Vista Caribe is an excellent choice. Also in VG it is a 4 BR fully A/c with 2 BR almost at ground level. We stayed last summer with our DD and SIL, 3 yr old and 14 month old. 1 BR is separate pavillion, with a wet bar, fridge and sofa bed. Plenty of room in every BR for a crib or toddler bed. One flight of gentle stairs down from the driveway to the house. Great covered pavillion at the end of the pool for relaxing, the other end of the pool has a covered portico. Another great house is Island Sun on the North shore just inside the Virgin a Island Natl Park sign off Centerline. No stepson the villa for 2 of the 4 bedrooms. Wrap around porch that is Definately child safe a great pool with shallow end. We were married therein 2000 and had my sister and her 18 month twins and my cousin's 3 year old stay there too. Both houses are through CateredTo.com
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Check out Villa Bijou as well..It's on my list of places to stay.
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Kim

Post by Kim »

Wow, thanks everyone for the great suggestions- so far they all seem amazing. I was hoping to stay around the $3500-4000/week range, but seeing some of these is making me rethink that.
Kim

Post by Kim »

We are booked!!! Thanks to all the great suggestions, we decided against Sol Mate due to the stairs and layout and went with Vista Caribe instead. I also really liked Infinity, but it was booked already. This will definitely be the nicest place we've stayed on STJ yet- so excited! Thanks again :)
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

You will LOVE Vista Caribe, and if you rented through Catered To they are great to work with.
Save Soul Mate for a winter getaway. Nice and warm in this house, and on the deck when others at this altitude can get a little chilly in Dec, Jan and February.