Cinnamon Bay Campground?

Travel discussion for St. John
pmk

Cinnamon Bay Campground?

Post by pmk »

Does anyone have any info on the state of the re-leasing of the Cinnamon Bay Campground?

I'd also be interested to hear about the current state of the facilities.

Thx.

pmk
ColoradoMom

Re: Cinnamon Bay Campground?

Post by ColoradoMom »

I dont have any info on the lease (I'd be interested to hear!) but did just stay in a baresite and all was much the same as in the past few years.
Great beach, clean bathhouse, nice site for my trusty tent.
pmk

Post by pmk »

The Park Service has finally begun process to get new vendors to manage Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay. If all goes well, this will begin sometime in 2016.

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... -trunk-bay

pmk
pmk

Post by pmk »

For those curious about the future of CBC, there was a meeting Jan 24 and park superintendant FitzGerald reported the following:

http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/lo ... re-locally

"Cinnamon Bay Campground is one place with huge maintenance issues, but it’s up to concessionaire Caneel Bay Resort to make repairs. However, FitzGerald said the National Park Service is just about through the process of awarding a new concession for the campground and the Trunk Bay snack shack. He said it should be awarded in June.

According to FitzGerald, the new concession holder will be required to tear down the Cinnamon Bay cottages and rebuild them on the same footprint. It will also have to replace the tents and replace or repair the tent platforms.

That won’t come soon enough for some campers who attended the meeting to complain about myriad issues including the bathroom conditions. While FitzGerald said the bathrooms are not on the list of things to be replaced by the new concession holder, he said he expects improvements.

FitzGerald said the park has taken up the issue with the current concession holder, but because the agreement is decades old, it has no teeth. He said the new concession agreement gives the park plenty of teeth in making sure maintenance happens.

“I will be safe in saying the maintenance of the bathrooms will be improved,” FitzGerald said. "
parafins

Post by parafins »

I sure hope we can still have the campground for years to come. For me there is nothing like camping out in the middle of the park. You feel like you're a part of it. The cost of a nights stay is bargain priced (good thing for me with 2 kids in college) My last visit to Cinnamon was in 2011 and from what I could see the campgrounds and bathrooms were clean. I plan on visiting this July and can't wait to enjoy the wonderful beach. Still my heart is saddened to know there is no more Maho Bay Campground. That place was magic!
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
poidog

Post by poidog »

And on a note of that article posted, the park also gets rid of good park workers who are military veterans for no reason. Park management is currently a mess and loosing most of their good workers (they either want to leave or get pushed out).
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ