Stereos on the beaches/ littering-

Travel discussion for St. John
mit43

Re: Stereos on the beaches/ littering-

Post by mit43 »

Ah yes, been there done that. Our last trip we had Francis all to our selves until some local kids showed up with their party. Loud music, some already drunk, and evidently we had their favorite spot. A couple of them actually came and told us we had their picnic table and sat down until we decided it wasn't worth going through that.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Dang! I hate to think STJ beaches are becoming this way! I understand if they want to party but find a deserted beach somewhere!
ALSO Cigarette butts are the WOSRT!!! I can't believe smokers don't feel this is litter!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Yep. That's all I was saying, crasherino.
Again, sorry for the confusion.
Smiles -
MJ
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Hey I'm just checking my ticker :) but had to comment!
Pia

Post by Pia »

FYI the 11pm (I actually think it was 10pm but could be wrong) was lifted - no more noise ordinance

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Music on the beach has become a greater problem in recent years as people bring along their bose soundlinks or the like. Much more packable than the big boomboxes of old days. Personally I think it is obnoxious to play amplified music on the beach and I wish people would not do it. Everyone has different taste.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the party. I think when you are at the beach you should respect others slice of paradise as most people just chill out and enjoy a cocktail and the beauty presented before them. At the villa you can blast the tunes to your hearts content. I usually prefer going out to the Beach Bar, Woody's or Castaways for the party atmosphere. 8) 8) 8)
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

The original post was about people "blasting" music on the beach, and Jim recommended that the loud music be saved for the villa. GratefulDad, It is NEVER ok to blast your music anywhere, anytime of day or night. In fact it is against the law. VI Code Title 19, Part VI, Chapter 62, Noise Pollution Control:

"it is unlawful for any person occupying ....premises... where the noise or music is plainly audible at a distance of 100 feet from the building...".

By the way, this also includes "vuvuzela" horns at 8 am. Some folks are just clueless.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

iheartsj wrote:The original post was about people "blasting" music on the beach, and Jim recommended that the loud music be saved for the villa. GratefulDad, It is NEVER ok to blast your music anywhere, anytime of day or night. In fact it is against the law. VI Code Title 19, Part VI, Chapter 62, Noise Pollution Control:

"it is unlawful for any person occupying ....premises... where the noise or music is plainly audible at a distance of 100 feet from the building...".

By the way, this also includes "vuvuzela" horns at 8 am. Some folks are just clueless.
I would like to see you try to enforce this with the construction crews who are working on the building in the valley below the villa you rented when they begin with the circular saws, hammers and airguns at 8am while you are trying to enjoy sleeping in while you are on vacation.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

At some of the beaches there are National Park rules posted, and in the past at least some of them said that amplified music is not permitted. I don't know if it's still there but I know the sign at Francis said that; I remember because that was the first place we ever heard amplified music on STJ; the people were about 50 feet from the sign.

When you look at the official NPS website, it says the same, about Hawksnest anyway:

Hawksnest has changing rooms, picnic tables, grills and restrooms. It is the closest beach driving from Cruz Bay. Restroom facilities do not close, but amplified music is not allowed and there is a 10 PM noise curfew.
http://www.nps.gov/viis/planyourvisit/hours.htm
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I did some googling and it appears that amplified music is illegal in all national parks, including VINP.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

iheartsj - Then shut down Woody's, Beach Bar and Castaways. My point is that if you have a house for a week and want to party with your friends for a couple hours at the house, it is no big deal. Usually houses have mediocur stereo systems so playing it at a level where you can have a conversation or playing a game of cards is not going to bother the neighbors.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Listen, without dragging out what has unexpectedly become a debate, I honestly didn't mean to say that blasting music anywhere was appropriate. I honestly just disagree with people making others uncomfortable. Especially on those serene beaches.
Smiles -
MJ
Last edited by mahojim on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Toes in the Sand.. FYI the law prohibits noise between 11 pm to 7 am. Construction, weed eating, etc can legally begin at 7 am.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

We have had a couple of unpleasant experiences the last trip. One large group had 2 screaming little babies, husband/wife arguing over said baby, and grandparents trying to intervene. Group number 2 brought a volley ball type net and set up right in front of us. We just pick up and move to another spot. I refuse to let someone spoil my long anticipated vacation.
Noise ordinance...? Now, let's talk about those damn roosters ... hehehe