Car Rental Question

Travel discussion for St. John
jaybfloyd

Car Rental Question

Post by jaybfloyd »

Can a 4DR Jeep Wrangler fit 6 people plus luggage? My first thought is no but we wanted to check if anyone has done it. We are weighing the need to rent a larger SUV. Thank you!

Also, what agencies on STJ offer parking at their facilities if we rent from them? Thanks.
kklay

Re: Car Rental Question

Post by kklay »

I have had 5 people in a jeep with luggage and it worked out fine. I don't think six will fit. The front seat is NOT a bench - it is just two seats. I suggest getting the larger SUV. Someone else will probably have to chime in on the parking. We rent from Amalie on St. Thomas and use the parking just up from Woody's - we pay for the entire time we are there. It is convenient and we don't have to worry about our vehicle being moved around and getting dinged up.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

No, you will definitely need something bigger.

As an FYI - We had a group of 10 and rented 2 Durangos. Even though the Durangos had seating for 7, the rental contract limited us to to no more than 5 people per vehicle. You may want to make sure that 6 people in a vehicle is not going to be a problem.

Sutton, Dependable, Sunshine all offer parking "if" there is space available...I don't know about others.
John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Ok, thanks. I think we're going to go with the bigger SUV.
inuny

Post by inuny »

When we rent from Amalie car (on STT), we park in the free lot across from the tennis courts.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Plus....think about 6 sweaty, sandy people crammed into one jeep...doesn't sound very relaxing to me! We always rent from Courtesy and have been able to park in their small lot whenever we needed to. Also, as return customers I typically ask them for a discount and they have given us 10% off. This might work for a multiple vehicle rental too- just a thought! They also offer an additional small discount if you pay your balance in cash. Hope this helps, have fun!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have had good luck with STJ Car Rental. Their lot is generally available for parking -- as long as it is not Saturday.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Awesome. Thanks to all. I think we're going with an Explorer from STJ car rental.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

We used to own an '98 Explorer. We would have problems fitting 6 adults in it. The back would've held maybe 6 full size suitcases if we squeezed them in. Unless the new Explorer has an expanded interior with an additional seat, I think you may have problems fitting your group and luggage in it.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
kklay

Post by kklay »

Probably should inquire about the seating arrangement in the Explorer. You can get the second row as either a BENCH (which would seat 3) or as two captain chairs. The third row typically is a 40/60 split which means you can fold down the 60% side to help with packing luggage. Hopefully, a few of your adults will use more of a carry-on size suitcase or a duffle type that is easier to conform to available space. We did it with a pathfinder from Amalie so it can be done!

I have an '06 explorer and have easily held seven adults in it. Now, I would not want to go cross-country in it, but no problem riding 15-30+ minutes to get where we were going.
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

Thank you. Yeah, I've reached out to ask about the seating arrangements in the Explorer and Durango. Preferably we'd like the 3rd row but that may take away some cargo space. I know the guys are packing light (carry on and backpack) but our wives are a different story. Have to bring the supersized, industrial hair dryer! Even though, they probably have them at the villa.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

This is gonna cost mo money.... get 2 cars....bonus = not being forever joined at the hip wherever you go ..or not go..trust me on this one.
Sumerwaters

Post by Sumerwaters »

Get 2 vehicles for sure.
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

No need for 2 vehicles. We've been friends for a long time and have had no issues. I was told that the Explorer has the 3rd row so we should be good. They're all 2013-15 so I assume the new ones have more room than the old ones. The company is Cool Breeze. Anyone used them?