CA or RH Ferry?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

CA or RH Ferry?

Post by northerngal »

WE arrive on Wednesday (YES this Wednesday!!!) at 4:26 pm. is there a chance we can catch the CA Ferry? I love that ride but never seem to catch that ferry.
Suggestions?
david@va.beach

Re: CA or RH Ferry?

Post by david@va.beach »

My magic 8 Ball says.......Not likely....Now on to the bright side......you're there while we're still here...and now have Plenty of time to get to redhook!! .. Damn Cold here!! Have fun!!!!!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

NG: In principle, there is a 5:30 PM ferry from CA to CB, which should fit your arrival nicely; we enjoy that route when it aligns with our flights (which isn't all that often). Do be sure to call the phone numbers in this link earlier that day or once you land to confirm that the 5:30 PM ferry is actually going to be a thing that day.
www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/
The 11:15 AM return ferry from CB to CA can be a godsend if you show up just a few minutes too late for the 11 AM ferry from CB to RH. At the end of Festival a few years ago, that return route was the only way we could have made our flight, and it took us right past the ferry that had crashed up onto Great St. James (photo attached). No one was injured, but the seamanship the night before appears to have been three sheets to the wind.
Ferry on the rocks
Ferry on the rocks
All the best,

Kevin
Pia

Post by Pia »

THE 11:15AM CA FERRY HAS BEEN SOLD OUT BY 10:30AM THE TIMES I HAVE HAD FRIENDS TRYING TO CATCH IT - THEY EVEN HAVE a sign in the window now to get there early.

Pia

(sorry about 1/2 caps - noticed too late and too lazy to go fix it :) )
Realtor - St John Properties
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Coconuts wrote:At the end of Festival a few years ago, that return route was the only way we could have made our flight, and it took us right past the ferry that had crashed up onto Great St. James (photo attached). No one was injured, but the seamanship the night before appears to have been three sheets to the wind.
Ferry aground I.jpg
All the best,

Kevin
We like to catch the CA ferry also. The problem is that it runs so infrequently and you can't count on it going an any particular run. As a result, we rely on Rachel to make the ride pleasant and interesting and the bar at the RH terminal to get us on Island Time.

We caught a ferry to RH that same July 5th in 2011 and also saw the wreck. Unfortunately, the news reports the same morning said, "The 89-foot ferry had 98 passengers and four crew members on board. Coast Guard spokesman Ricardo Castrodad said five passengers, including a baby, were injured. St. John Rescue Chief Alfredo Alejo put the number of injured at six, including the baby. They were transferred to Roy Schneider Medical Center for treatment."

The story also said, "He said that those injured appeared to have neck and back problems, as well as cuts and bruises.

"Alejo said he took the baby across the life raft and to Marine 1 to transport him to shore. He said the baby wasn’t responding properly after he hit the bench in front of him when the ferry ran aground. The baby was in his mother’s arms.

"He said after telling the mother he had little ones of his own, she trusted him with the baby. Alejo said the mother went in the next boat to rejoin her baby."

That was a long time ago. Hopefully everyone recovered well and ferry service is much safer now.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We took the 11:15 ferry to CA twice last year ( March and July ) and got the small orange ferry both times. Not a fan. Is it always the same? Last time we took it before this was in 2009 and it was a big ferry.
Sumerwaters

Post by Sumerwaters »

If I think that I have a chance of getting on the ca to cb ferry I will try. Even if you think you are within a few minutes I call the ferry and tell them I will be ther in less than 5 minutes usually they will wait. I have learned not to ask the taxi drivers as the want you fair to red hook.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Always the small orange ferry (at least right now)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties