Arrival rituals

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Re: Arrival rituals

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I'm with Heidi. While my husband waits for our luggage, I run upstairs to St. John Spice and buy our two weeks' worth of Kiss of the Jumbie coffee! Then we run by Starfish (creamer for coffee-duh; and other snacks), and then head to the villa (Apito for the past few years). Then we head to Shipwreck - usually it's around the 4-6pm weird time that's not lunch but not dinner. So we get a few of the apps (coconut shrimp, fries, etc.) and then head back to the villa and CRASH super early after a long travel day.
Our first beach of the trip used to be Maho, but now it varies between Maho and Francis.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Great post Bill

Our ritual is usually staying in Detroit the night before...(free parking for 10 days), early flight, after 12 years we have all carry ons(which we Gate check for free) get to STT around 2 and check into Emerald Beach Best Western in time for Happy Hour and the 2-6 FREE drink coupons they give you. Kids are in the pool...we are on the beach...and we watch the planes take off over the pool on the way back to the mainland. We always meet up with fellow addicts coming off charter or going onto the islands. There is usually somebody chasing me down the next morning for the TAB I forgot to close. Meanwhile, we are comfortably numb and not worried about getting to our $600/night villa of which we will only see in the twilight if we are lucky.

Get up with the roosters, get the rental, car barge, stop at Star fish call rental company and tell them to forget the greeter, just leave the keys under the conch shell and we're good. 1st beach...Hawksnest.

Of course... saying we have a "ritual" of coming back 12+ years either makes us blessed(and it does) spoiled(nah) or just in touch with the other fellow fomumites(addicts)

Enjoy the journey....

Bigcheeze/Dave
fromaway74

Post by fromaway74 »

Ritual? With only 2 trips under our belt so far, I can only ASPIRE to ritual! :)

That being said, I think the only constant on arrival day for us is ,and hopefully will continue to be, happy hour at the Beach Bar.
antonimadl

Post by antonimadl »

PA Girl wrote:The short version -
Look for Christopher at the airport (our version of Rachael)

Stop at the gas station for 6 pack (old ritual)
Stop at the snack shack for a 6 pack (new ritual)

Board Dohm's

Arrive at NPS dock. Husband (and other husbands if they are with us) sprint to STJ as I talk to the greeter and move baggage to the parking area. Husband whips in with jeep, double parks, loads vehicle.

Arrive at villa. Run through house in amazement as if shelter is a completely new concept to us. Attempt to push greeter out the door, vacation has officially started.

Make drinks, obsessively wander around deck looking for the best spot to relax

Unpack and shower

Dinner at Morgan's Mango, which begins with a Mango Tango at the bar

We are SET in our ways and cannot/will not deviate from our routine.
I love this. We're going next week, and using Chris+Dohm's. It's our first time, this board has great advice! I am definitely going to run through the villa as if shelter is a completely new concept. :D
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Hey Bill...how's the view from the ridge?
bill

Post by bill »

We have been going to St John for years, and definitely have our ritual.

After unpacking and feeling the usual thrill of actually being in paradise, we head to the Beach Bar for dinner.

We grab a fabulous plastic table and two chairs right on the sand, order dinner and eat facing the most fabulous view - cruz bay with all its wonderful display of sailboats and catamarans slipping into the sunset!!!!!! We have made it!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

My arrival ritual begins about 1/2 hour before our flight lands, when I take my sundress out of my backpack and head for the bathrooms! When we disembark, I want to feel the funshine alllll over!
After disembarking, we meet Amy from Amalie to get our Jeep and then head to Costco to pick up a bunch of Diet Coke (it's a lot cheaper there) and eggs, and then head to the car barge area. Once we're on the car barge, we call CANDI'S :D :D :D and place our order, sometimes eating in and sometimes take out - either way, that's how every vacation starts for us!
Awwww, man! Can't wait!
Beachnut513

Post by Beachnut513 »

I'm with ya Bill! We go to the Villa unpack and head of to the Beach Bar. Usually order the tuna app and fish tacos. Oh and a couple of Painkillers please!! It won't be long now!! :D :D :D
kklay

Post by kklay »

When we took the people ferry, we used to drag our bags up to Woody's, find a table, rock ledge or curb and order a few drinks - then (after about an hour) we'd head to our Westin villa, unpack quickly and come back into town for a bite to eat.

Now since we rent our vehicle from Amalie - we load up, stop at Cost U less, get some cold beverages for the car barge ride, go to our villa or condo, quickly unpack and go back into town for a few more beverages and snacks! We used to love getting to ride over on the Roanoke - the barge with the Palm Trees (and bar) on top! :D
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I'm starting a new ritual in 2 weeks. We will embark on the Red Hook Ferry, standing proudly at the bow, Titanic style. Upon our arrival at Cruz Bay, I will jump on to the dock, run over to the sand and roll in it like my dog does when she finds something smelly in the yard. Pure bliss!
No, I am not day drinking. Just tired of the snow. I don't know how you New Englanders do it!
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

Ours starts at the cruz bay dock.
we get off the ferry, wave like mad to the spice cam.
make a bee line to cruz bay landing, order a rum punch and pretzel bites.
head to Schnells to get our jeep. drop our stuff off at Tesori.
Go back to cruz bay for dinner at Morgans Mango.