Arrival rituals

Travel discussion for St. John
BillVT

Arrival rituals

Post by BillVT »

I am sure that frequent visitors like us have an arrival ritual they usually follow. We have several depending on whether we arrive on a Friday or a Saturday.

Our Friday ritual involves getting picked up at the airport by Ronnie Lockwood and driven to the Crystal Palace in Charlotte Amalie. Ronnie is the proprietor of the Crystal Palace and picks up all his guests. And trust me, Ronnie is a hoot. We walk down the hill and have dinner in town and return (up the hill) and stay over night enjoying the view from Ronnie’s front porch. In the morning after breakfast we walk down the hill, catch the 11 AM downtown ferry. (Notice, no cabs.) Off the ferry we head to the Suttons, sign for our car, leave our bags in it and head over to the Banana Deck for lunch and our first official cocktail on island. Then we pick up our car head to Starfish for supplies and up to our villa which is at Sunset Ridge. http://sunsetridgevillas.com/index.shtml

If our arrival is Saturday we usually catch the 12 person cab at the airport and start betting on which route to Redhook the cabbie will take. When we arrive, while one of us buys the ferry ticket another will order Painkillers at the bar for a drink before getting on the ferry. Then we do the same thing as the Friday arrival.

After villa arrival, we settle in, put our provisions away, mix a cocktail and head down to the pool for sunset and reconnecting with our neighbors.

The current discussion is whether we will stop at Starfish or the St. John Market for provisions this year. Both stores are of equal distance to our villa.

So are others as arrival obsessive as we are?
Last edited by BillVT on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joppa

Re: Arrival rituals

Post by Joppa »

After we get our Jeep the first stop is ALWAYS Candies, usually to go and we eat it at the Cruz Bay Overlook on North shore rd. I crave her bbq sauce all year. The last time we were there we had the villa greeter meet us at Candies. 12 more days...
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

The short version -
Look for Christopher at the airport (our version of Rachael)

Stop at the gas station for 6 pack (old ritual)
Stop at the snack shack for a 6 pack (new ritual)

Board Dohm's

Arrive at NPS dock. Husband (and other husbands if they are with us) sprint to STJ as I talk to the greeter and move baggage to the parking area. Husband whips in with jeep, double parks, loads vehicle.

Arrive at villa. Run through house in amazement as if shelter is a completely new concept to us. Attempt to push greeter out the door, vacation has officially started.

Make drinks, obsessively wander around deck looking for the best spot to relax

Unpack and shower

Dinner at Morgan's Mango, which begins with a Mango Tango at the bar

We are SET in our ways and cannot/will not deviate from our routine.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Joppa wrote:After we get our Jeep the first stop is ALWAYS Candies, usually to go and we eat it at the Cruz Bay Overlook on North shore rd. I crave her bbq sauce all year. The last time we were there we had the villa greeter meet us at Candies. 12 more days...
Now that is a real craving!
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

First stop as soon as we exit the ferry is St John Spice for Kiss of the Jumbie coffee. From there, we head to Sutton's to pick up the rental vehicle(s). Next stop is Starfish market for the week's groceries, and usually a rotisserie chicken for that night's dinner.

After arriving at the villa and doing the tour, I MUST put all of my things away, unpack suitcases etc, before I can relax. I don't know why, but I can't even make my first drink until that's done.

After that, it's all about taking in the view, making cocktails and getting fully on to island time.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

PA Girl, LMAO about the shelter remark!
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Pa Girl this year I'm going to beg and plead for a jar to take home. I'll even bring my own jar. I'll probably embarrass the hubbs, but if I'm successful it will be worth it. My other craving, Dessert in a Cup from the Smoothie stand on Centerline. :D
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Joppa wrote:Pa Girl this year I'm going to beg and plead for a jar to take home. I'll even bring my own jar. I'll probably embarrass the hubbs, but if I'm successful it will be worth it. My other craving, Dessert in a Cup from the Smoothie stand on Centerline. :D
I hope it will taste just as good when you get home.

Your BBQ sauce is my mango tango.
Sumerwaters

Post by Sumerwaters »

I thought we were the only ones who were this obsessive about the "ritual". I have to review it several times in my head in the days prior to departure. When I arrive at airport I change into shorts and sandals that I have in my carry on, I can usually do this before the luggage even comes.
Hop a taxi that is taking the waterfront route to RH. if I see the CA to CB ferry near departure time I tell the driver to let me out! I would rather be on a boat than a taxi with pretend air conditioning. After arriving in CB, usually about the time of happy hour I get my luggage and go straight to the Lime Inn where there is 2 for 1 drinks. I get my happy on..my hubby then walks over to get the jeep and picks me and the luggage up from Lime Inn. We go to the grocery store, get few a days of food and beer and head to the villa. We do the greetings. First thing I do Is get out my ice cube trays I bring from home and make ice for my cooler the next morning. We do a quick unpack, put our beach stuff in the jeep, shower and to town to grab dinner. Early to bed as it has been a long day. So next morning we pack or cooler, I call in to baked in the sun ( phone number already programmed in my phone) and place an order for 2 breakfast sandwiches and 2 lunch sandwiches. We go immediately to the beach and have breakfast on the beach (this is my favorite part) and spend the entire day just beach in'. That is our thing that works for us.
Boxer5

Post by Boxer5 »

Our first ritual has never changed. Once off the plane we head to the smoking area while our luggage is loaded on the carousel. Once at Red Hook we get a drink before getting on the ferry. Once on STJ we take a picture to announce that we have arrived in paradise and post it on Facebook. Get in our jeep, head to our place and rest on the deck overlooking the water. Often we stay in the first night and pick on any food we brought. No need to rush out for dinner.
Boxer5
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Our arrival ritual is using Amalie Car Rental on STT and loading up the goods minutes from the time the wheels of the plane hit the ground! Stop at the market on STT on the way to Redhook and load 'er up. Off to Redhook to get the quickest ferry we can because the pool at Sunset Ridge is calling the boy's names! For some strange reason, I think I can here it already and we still have 12 weeks to go..it'll be a long wait for sure.
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

Crack of dawn flight out of Syracuse puts us on the ferry dock at lunch. Our ritual is to wheel our little carry-ons over to High Tide as quickly as possible and order up our 'Welcome to Paradise' cocktails and our first real food of the day. (part of why it is so awesome)

Then I scurry up to Courtesy and pick up 'Old Blue' (coincidentally, the same Jeep three years in a row) while Cindy wheels our bags over to the park. I cruise through, pick her up, and we're off on our island adventure! We know our way to the villa in our dreams. :D

Sometimes, depending on arrival time, I go up and pin down the Jeep before the burger hit's the table.

Sadly, the ritual at the end of the week is quite similar. :(
loria

Post by loria »

our arrival ritual pretty much has always been shopping at starfish and then dinner at shipwreck..... sine i have had the good fortune to be traveling back and forth quite a bit this year -- my rituals have sort of changed.... depending on the day /time of arrival! --unfortunately it usually involves a stop at Kmart and Home depot........
but if the family is all together (a rarity these days) then Shipwreck it is.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

Great Thread! Need to get a little more action going on the forum as it has been quiet the last few months, so thanks for kicking this off!

I have never really thought about day 1 as a ritual but will from here on out.

Our day begins like PA girl. We usually use miles to fly first class and do carry-on only, ship anything else we need down to Connections in advance. We have been using Chris' taxi for years. So we are off the plane and on the road before the luggage starts coming off the plane, most times. Every minute counts on arrival day!

Chris is a hoot when he's not talking to about a million people on his cell phone. He always catches us up with the latest KC stories. Not that we really care but it has become part of the ritual when he sees us.

He drops us off at the Dohm's Water taxi, it may be a bit more money but it puts us in the mood getting on a private boat and depending on how long we would have had to wait on the regular ferry the combination of Chris and Dohm can cut up to an hour off the trip to STJ.

We pull into the national park dock and walk over to Cool Breeze car rental. We have used them forever and they are the closest jeep rental to the National Park dock.

Quick trip to Star Fish and then meet the rental representative if needed. We tend to rent the same Villas multiple times when we find one we like so usually we'll just have them leave the key somewhere for us and not bother to meet. They will have picked up the box for us at Connections and have it at the house for us.

Then it is stay in and drift into villa gravity time as we drink and eat on the porch. just listening to the waves and watching for falling stars puts us in our happy place.

April 11, Wings on Water here we come!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Four cold ones at the airport bar and then to pickup by friends or rental car company. High tail it to the final destination ASAP.

On departure day we love going to STT early and having brunch at Tickles at Crown Bay. Or, for more local color, Cariga's at Independent Boat Yard.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI