Best off season month to visit?

Travel discussion for St. John
18N 64W

Best off season month to visit?

Post by 18N 64W »

Hello everyone!

Wondering when everyone's favorite off season month to visit STJ is and what some of those reasons are?
We are planning another trip to STJ (yay!) and we are trying to decide what month. We visited a couple years ago in the middle of August. It was a nice time to visit because the ocean was very warm and the beaches were not busy but it was extremely humid and some of the restaurants were starting to close.
It's my understanding that peak season is from December to March?

Thanks for sharing!
onthelake

Re: Best off season month to visit?

Post by onthelake »

Hi
We go the end of November (Thanksgiving week) and the first week of December.

Thanksgiving week is a bit busy and the next we is quiet! Nice warm water and low season rates!

8)
[/url]
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

We go around Dec 8-18, right before high season!! Weather is great, water is fine, no crowds and everything is open!!! We have also gone in March - didn't like that, May wasn't too bad!!!
star2515

Post by star2515 »

We've been in beginning of Dec, end of April/beginning of May, June and July. I can't find a huge fault in any of the times we've been, but I guess my favorite was June. I am cold natured and Dec the breeze was a bit chill at times, pool was to cold for me to use at night, but getting away from NC weather was nice, crowds weren't bad. End of April/May the pool was just on the shoulder of being chilly at night, but it was just after high season so rates dropped, crowds thinned and weather was good for hiking. June you are getting more of the schools out/kids crowd, but temps/weather is right in my wheelhouse. July same kids crowd, just a tick hotter, not much different than June. We've been luck with weather, never very rainy, though I think the week after we left in May it was super wet, which is a little more typical of that time of year. Due to circumstances we are going in high season this year so it will be interesting to see what the crowds are like, I think I will much prefer low season, but I'll take STJ anytime of year!!
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

We have made 12 trips down over 7 different months (never winter) and our favorite month was September. Sure, a lot of the restaurants are closed and you take a chance with the weather but the solitude of the island is worth it! The water is warm, the beaches are deserted, and the island is very serene. The island has gotten overly appreciated and we now will only visit during this month.
December is somewhat quiet before the holidays but the water can be rough with the xmas winds rolling in, November is hit/miss with crowds, May has gotten really popular.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I've done January, February, April, May, June, July, August, and October. I liked them all, but prefer the later summer trips because the water is warm and calm, so good for snorkeling.

Off season-wise, June has been the rainiest month for us. July has been the busiest on the beaches. October was the quietest (but many restaurants are closed).

This year we are going in February (just the two of us) and August (group trip). February is going to be more about relaxing at the villa, dining out every night, and reading on the beach with a couple of hikes thrown in. The water is too cold in the winter months for me to stay in long, and the visibility is not as good for snorkeling as it is in the summer months. August we'll all be snorkeling every day for hours (weather permitting), doing a couple of boat trips, and eating dinner at the villa most evenings.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
18N 64W

Post by 18N 64W »

lazylane wrote:We go around Dec 8-18, right before high season!! Weather is great, water is fine, no crowds and everything is open!!! We have also gone in March - didn't like that, May wasn't too bad!!!
We actually have a trip planned in March this year also. Why didn't you like March? Too busy?
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

We like June and July best. Like some others said...water is warmer and calmer. :D And I am a wuss when it comes to the cooler water...I have arthritis in my chest and back and it just hurts tooo much in cold or cooler water ! But I love sitting on the beaches ANY time of the year ! :wink:

Sherry in SC
" I believe there's Magic here...."
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We're usually June people too...so thats my vote...but we've also been in August, April , October and November...June for us no doubt has been the best..so we tend to rebook it.. 2nd choice would be August..April the water was cold..and I didnt like Snorkeling as much..October was better than November in that aspect. November the water was a little rough than we were used to and we didnt snorkel hardly any at all.. With that said...I'll book anytime of the year that I can find a good deal on flights...I dont think there is a bad time to go I can think of alot worse places to be...:D This year we are going at the end of June for Carnival...so we'll see how we like July..Im sure the heat and Humidity will be bad, but I really wanted to go for the 4th..
[/url]
adlnp

Post by adlnp »

I always enjoy May. Weather is great few showers but not enough to keep you inside. I have been in June, Oct, Nov and all have been beautiful. The only time I will not go again is Jan. It was too cold for me. Lots of on and off clouds and cool water. I think I went snorkeling once and not for very long lol.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

We have been in April, June, September, and October (twice).

I like the fall months the best, there are some places closed, but the peacefulness of the island it priceless. That and lower crowds on day trips or dives. Still plenty of peeps to speak with at happy hours. Works for us.

Our first "in season" trip is coming up fast. Can't go wrong! :D
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Our April trip is always the 1st Tuesday after low season starts on the 15th. Low season prices, but still cold enough up here in the frozen north to make it wonderful. We always fly on Tuesdays because that's when we get the best airfare deals. The island is moderately busy, but nothing like when we went during spring break. I typically come in August with my kids. It's nice because the water is warm and the island is not busy, but the last couple years the Sahara dust has been a little heavy for my taste. This years summer trip is moved up to the last weekend in July because of my son's military schedule, so we'll see if that feels any different than mid August.