lost/delayed cooler question

Travel discussion for St. John
NJsurfsup

lost/delayed cooler question

Post by NJsurfsup »

Was just reading the what to pack thread and saw a couple posts that mentioned the occassional lost/ delayed cooler. My question is did this occur on direct flights or connecting, just wondering if the misdirection could take place at the originating airport or whether it was because plane change.
adlnp

Re: lost/delayed cooler question

Post by adlnp »

We had one cooler rummaged through one time. It got there on time but we lost the hummus d/t package being broken. This occurred in connecting city I think.
kklay

Post by kklay »

Our experience was in the St. Thomas baggage carousel area. Our cooler looked the same as another and gotten taken by mistake. No problems, it came over on a later ferry to St. John. We made a report with the powers that be and took them the other cooler. So lesson learned - make sure you make your cooler look different by some manner - tying some fabric on it, a wild color of luggage ID tag, etc.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Did you check to see if their food was way more interesting than yours 1st?? :wink:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Every time my cooler has gone awol, it has been in a connecting flight scenario.

I have one more lost/delayed cooler story that I forgot to mention in the other thread. I checked a 24-can polar bear cooler through as luggage so my group could use it on the beach. It did not have any food in it, it was filled with sunscreen, body products, and all the (non-prescription) medications for six people for a 2.5 week long trip! We connected via San Juan and the flight from Boston was delayed leaving. We had to get right on the plane to STT on arrival to SJU. All of our other checked bags (and there were a LOT of them :roll: ) made the flight to STT, but the cooler was nowhere to be found.

Luckily we started that trip with a couple of days at Caneel Bay and they took care of it for us. We all came back from the beach later the next morning and the cooler was sitting on my bed. It would have been a lot more $$$ to replace the contents of that cooler than any food-filled cooler I have ever brought!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

The one time our cooler got lost it was a direct flight. We flew out of O'Hare that trip and our cooler didn't make it on the plane. We usually fly out of a smaller airport so we have connecting flights and we've never had luggage lost on a connecting flight, even when we only had about a 45 minute layover in ATL.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
kklay

Post by kklay »

ExitZero,

You know I don't recall what was in the cooler, I believe it was actually clothes and some snacks. It was one of the fabric type coolers with wheels with a handle that extends and a zip top. Both coolers were blue. Ours had lunch meats, cheese and steaks In it, but all was there when we got it off the ferry!