Recommendations for a trip to the Baths

Travel discussion for St. John
SpartyOn

Recommendations for a trip to the Baths

Post by SpartyOn »

We are going to be on St. John in April. Looking to go over to the Baths. Any recommendations ?
kimoncape cod

Re: Recommendations for a trip to the Baths

Post by kimoncape cod »

We went out with Bad Kitty last year on one of the high speed catamarans. A full day visiting a bunch of islands, including a long stop and tour of the Baths, lunch at Cooper Island, snorkeling at Norman and painkillers on Jost.
Fabulous day! I would highly recommend it!

Kim on Cape Cod
Beachnut513

Post by Beachnut513 »

We'll be there in march and we may look into Bad Kitty.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Stormy Petrel...... went with them 5 or 6 years ago and really enjoyed the day.
Image[/url]
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

Check out New Horizons. The trip surpassed our expectations and everyone had a great time. Good value too as they served painkillers all day long and they were included in trip price.
http://www.newhorizonscharters.com
gibber161

Post by gibber161 »

We did it ourselves by taking the inter-island ferry from Cruz Bay, St. John to Virgin Gorda. The ferry runs on Thursdays and Sundays and leaves at 8:30am. The cost is $90.00 a person. The ferry leaves Virgin Gorda at 3:00pm for Cruz Bay, St. John. We took a open air taxi from Customs to the entrance to the Baths and made arrangements to be picked up in time to get back to customs for the ferry ride back. There is a restaurant called Top of the Baths you can eat at and on the beach below, there is a snack shack that serves cheeseburgers, hot dogs and sandwiches as well as alcoholic beverages. You can walk the trail through the Baths at your own pace and when you come out you exit onto another beautiful beach. :)
savvy

Post by savvy »

We did the Bad Kitty trip last year and really enjoyed it. Will do it again next week with friends.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

We used Pirate's Penny (sister boat to Stormy Petral) a few years ago. An excellent day. Stops at several islands. The tour through the Baths was awesome. Our boat captain took us through and navigated our group of 10 through the rock formations. He took a path that was different from any other groups that were there at the time so that we didn't end up in a big line with all the others. It was really fun!
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

If you want to spend more time on Virgin Gorda/ Baths, then recommend taking a power boat rather than a sailboat to get there faster. If you want the pleasure of a long relaxing time on the water, then pick a sailboat. We did Stormy Petrel several years ago, and they were great. Fun tour of the Baths including our son getting to jump off a huge rock formation into the sea; nice lunch on Cooper; great snorkeling stops. Very enjoyable. Only annoying thing is the mandatory inflated cash customs fee. :(
Bushwacker

Post by Bushwacker »

I have a really dumb question.

We're looking at taking Bad Kitty. I'm assuming that when it says that you swim to the rock formations (weather permitting), this means you can paddle your way there with snorkel/fins, correct?

I am not a swimmer, but I can snorkel with the best of them.

I have this image of everyone taking off like in a swim meet, and my husband and I lagging behind, frog paddling our way there. :?
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

We took Bad Kitty a few years back and they will provide you with noodles or other flotation devices if you need a bit of help / security. Great time!
Pia

Post by Pia »

No sailboats have day trips to the Baths.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We have done the Baths in a few different ways... 1. We rented our own power boat for the day 2. We hired a captain (Captain Ben) 3. Bareboated from Tortola.

Of course the time of year and North swells will be a determining factor...I would hire a captain for the day and swim in if the swells allow. The Bareboat option didn't have a captain as I was the guy and the swells were minimal. It's a long haul from STJ, I would hire a captain and he can decide the best way to get to the Baths...swim in or taxi in.

Enjoy the Journey
gobucs

Post by gobucs »

We have always done Stormey Patrol and Pirates Penny
They take you through the best routes in the Baths and always lunch on Cooper Island! :D